Job Title: Project Assistant - Water Supply
Organisation: Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
Job Summary: The Project Assistant - Water Supply will support the WASH officer in providing technical support in the development of NRC’s WASH programming and high quality technical planning and implementation of inputs for resulting schedule of work related to water supply and monitoring agree indicators.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Actively participate in needs assessments, baseline studies and periodic studies, and feedback findings to the stakeholders.
· Conduct regular assessments to determine per capital supply against demand and give recommendations for extensions.
· Prepare and submit regular reports on the water quality monitoring and sanitary surveys.
· In liaison with the WASH Officer, constantly update the hydraulic modeling system as per the emerging needs.
· Work closely with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally in order to coordinate within the WASH sector and between sectors such as health and shelter.
· Ensure smooth running and uninterrupted water reticulation system all round.
· Ensure FRC is maintained at the acceptable levels in the entire system and conducting water quality analyses (bacteriological, chemical and physical)
· Ensure the entire system is well maintained and upgraded including the storage reservoirs (Elevated steel tanks and Ferro-cement tanks)
· Ensure proper dosage is administered and the dosing pumps are in good condition at all times.
· Work in close consultation with WASH Officer, prioritize the work for the day to ensure minimum water interruption and distribution within the supply hours.
· In charge of project planning for construction activities and water pipeline installation in the respective camp.
· Carry out topographical surveys and plot longitudinal profiles to ensure proper hydraulic design of the water supply systems
· Manage the construction and rehabilitation of water supplies interventions in strict adherence to the government regulations, WHO and the SPHERE standards.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) Project Assistant - Water Supply job opportunity should have at least three to five years’ experience for degree or Diploma holder respectively in working/programming in either relief or development including managing a large scale Community based water project with evidence of successful implementation of similar projects
· Broad knowledge and understanding of SPHERE and other international standards.
· Proficiency in MS Office software
· Flexibility in approach to work methods, compliance with tight deadlines and ability to adapt to changing priorities and unforeseen increased workloads.
· A moderate level of reasoning, judgment, interpretation and problem solving skills.
· Proven time management skills with the ability to set individual priorities, coordinate and manage concurrent tasks, plan and organize tasks and set work schedules to ensure objectives are met within the prescribed timeframe and to maintain work output in times of increased workloads.
· All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified Ugandan candidates who wish to join one of the world’s leading relief organisations, Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) should apply by visiting the web link below.
Deadline: 17th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline