Job Title: Finance /Administration Officer
Organization: United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Post Level: SB3
Reports to: Project Manager for GOU/UNFPA
UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every birth is safe, and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA expands the possibilities for women and young people to lead healthy and productive lives.
Since UNFPA started working in 1969, the number – and rate – of women dying from complications of pregnancy or childbirth has been halved. Families are smaller and healthier. Young people are more connected and empowered than ever before.
Job Summary: The UNFPA Finance /Administration Officer will support the Project Manager for GOU/UNFPA country programme in the Ministry of Gender Labour and Social development and ensure the effective functioning of financial operations and systems in support of the programme and office management. He/she works closely with programme and project staff providing financial monitoring and analysis of projects and advising managers on expenditure trends and implementation rates.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for developing and implementing sound financial systems, policies and procedures that ensure adequate controls are in place in order to maintain proper books of accounts and to safe guard the assets of the GOU/UNFPA Gender component programme.
- Design and coordinate implementation and maintenance of financial operations and management information system.
- Establish precise and complete expenditure controls, ensuring that all commitments are properly approved and that all expenditures are appropriately supported and are within budget allocations.
- Responsible for controlling and monitoring expenditure with special emphasis on tracking advances and ensuring prompt accountability.
- Prepare periodic operational plans and budgets within the stipulated deadlines in order to allocate available resources to identified priorities and guide implementation of planned activities.
- Ensure that the financial resources are adequate to meet Ministry o commitments and submit financial reports.
- Monitor financial performance on regular basis (monthly), statements that reflect budget and expenditure analysis, and report to management in a timely manner.
- Maintaining timely and accurate financial records of the programme in compliance to the recommended Accounting Policies and Procedures, statutory requirements, as well as internationally accepted Accounting and Reporting standards.
- Follow up and carry out quality assurance activities of the programme contractees, districts and imprest holders.
- Ensure that records are verified through the ministry’s verification system and appropriately filed ready for audit.
- Make sure that audit action plan is drawn up and implemented in an appropriate manner.
- Reports to the Programme Component manager and liaises with other relevant staff in the Ministry
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNFPA career opportunity should possess a good University degree in accounting, business administration, finance, public administration, information technology, economics or related field is preferable.
- At least four years of relevant experience in the public or private sector.
- Computer literacy skills: Proficiency in current office software applications.
Language Proficiency: Fluency in oral and written English
Implementing management systems
Values: Integrity/Commitment to mandate, Knowledge sharing/Continuous learning, Valuing diversity
Managing Relationships: Working in teams, Communicating information and ideas, Conflict and self management
Working with people: Empowerment/Developing people/Performance management
Personal Leadership and Effectiveness: Strategic and analytical thinking, Results
orientation/Commitment to excellence, Appropriate and transparent decision making
How to Apply:
All candidates who so desire to join the United Nations UNFPA in the capacity of Finance /Administration Officer are encouraged to send a cover letter and P11 Form download here to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please clearly indicate position title in the subject of the email and include your full names.
NB: The complete applications should be less than 10MB.
Deadline: 31st October 2014