Job Title: ICT and Social Media Officer
Organization: Nile Basin Discourse (NBD)
Project Name: Engaging Civil Society for Social and Climate Resilience in the Nile Basin Project (P132448)
Funding Source: World Bank
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Communication & Media Officer
The World Bank, as administrator of the Cooperation on International Waterways in Africa (CIWA) Trust Fund has provided support to the Nile Basin Discourse (NBD) for the implementation of a three year project titled: Engaging Civil Society for Social and Climate Resilience in the Nile Basin.
In 2000, the World Bank, IUCN and the WWF also initiated the establishment of the Nile Basin Discourse (NBD) with funding from the World Bank and the MacArthur Foundation. The NBD was established as a civil society network to influence NBI investments. First hosted as an IUCN project, the NBD became an independent, regional NGO in 2002, and has evolved into a network claiming over 800 member organizations throughout the Basin. Member organizations are local and national NGOs working on a range of issues relevant to Nile cooperation, including environmental conservation, gender equity, livelihoods, poverty reduction, and others. The stated mission of the NBD is “to ensure that a fully informed and basin-wide civil society develops and plays a key role in achieving the vision, through pro-active and critical influencing of projects, programs and policies of the Nile Basin Initiative and other development processes.”
The Nile Basin Initiative’s (NBI) development partners have identified engaging communities and addressing the social impacts of Nile basin investments as a priority going forward. In addition, NBI has developed the Nile Cooperation for Results (NCORE) project in line with its strategic plan. With this endorsement, the World Bank agreed to support a technical assistance project to strengthen the capacity of the NBD. The project will complement the NCORE project and aim to engage civil society more actively in Nile Basin water resources development and management issues.
The stakeholder feedback based on interviews with a number of stakeholders confirmed three critical roles for the network: (i) a bottom-up communications pipeline for raising the voices of citizens and civil society up to the governmental and regional levels; (ii) a top-down pipeline for educating and informing citizens and civil society on Nile issues and development projects, etc.; and, (ii) a horizontal pipeline between citizens and civil society organizations both within and across national borders for knowledge and capacity sharing.
Job Summary: The ICT and Social Media Officer will be responsible for the improvement of the ICT and Social Media communications for NBD through establishing an intra-net in the NBD website, enhancing social networking, publishing key documents on the website in English, French and Arabic, enhancing web-based member communication and library services, follow up on populating the national websites, populating the web-based member database that has been publicly published on website and ensure that the webmail service is up and running and accessible all the time.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintenance, Installation, Configuration and Troubleshooting:
- Maintain integrity of the system such as router and internet connectivity to the local Internet Service Provider (ISP) as well as other Networks.
- Intuitively diagnose network problems and provide solutions in line with the organizational policy.
- Deploy anti-virus and anti-spam tools on all organizational server as well as client workstations and configure an auto-update on a regular basis.
- Plan routine preventative and remedial maintenance and servicing of hardware equipment.
- Use agreed tools, templates and standards to create complex, well designed and engineered web pages with specified content and layout. Test pages and correct coding errors. Take account of bandwidth and browser compatibility issues.
- Gather and analyze web-site usage data from server logs or other sources and present it effectively as needed.
2. ICT Support:
- Offer Super-user support to NBD staff.
- Provide effective and timely assistance for video and teleconferences.
- Carry out trouble-shooting support to all users at the secretariat and at national offices.
- Provide NBD personnel with training, backstopping and support in areas such as networking, software use and support for establishing software for the organization.
- Maintain PABX connectivity with support from service provider.
- Monitor progress of requests for support and ensure users and other interested parties are kept informed. Take corrective action to avoid or minimise delays.
3. Data Management:
- Maintain detailed records of key organizational data and organizing them for use by technical staff, partners and members of NBD.
- Maintain an updated inventory record for all computer software and hardware equipments.
- Monitor online databases and ensure that users are able to access online databases.
- Backup all organizational critical data as per NBD Backup Policy.
- Maintain system configuration documentation for all hardware and network devices.
- Quickly report details of all hardware/software items that have been installed and removed so that configuration management records can be updated.
4. Website Support and Enhancing Use of Social Media:
- Improve and expand online presence including revision and management of NBD website www.nilebasindiscourse.org and NBD social media sites.
- Establish intranet in the NBD website.
- Maintain and update of the NBD website and national NDF websites.
- Maintain the webmail service, member database and electronic M&E system.
- Oversee the presence in social networking sites including Facebook, Twitter, and other similar community sites, and seeding content into social applications as needed
- Strategize with and educate the management team and others across the network on incorporating relevant social media techniques into the organizational culture and into NBD’s work ethics.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information, Communications and Technology or related field.
- Five or more years of progressive experience demonstrating delivery of high-quality ICT and Social Media services.
- Past experience in interactive electronic engagement of actors.
- Possess the ability to work independently with a good attention to detail.
- Possess excellent organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects and priorities and to be responsive to long- and short-lead opportunities.
- Excellent communication skills in English – writing, speaking and listening, concise and conversational writer; other languages a plus.
- Familiarity with content management systems, image software (video and still), online communications and main social media tools (Twitter, Face-book, Linkedin, you-tube, etc).
- Detailed understanding and knowledge of water resources and sustainability issues preferred.
- Past exposure and experience working in an international context and ability to work well with people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated knowledge in A+ support skills.
- Highly proficient with all the Microsoft Office packages, Website development and management tools, interactive website and social media management tools.
- Proficient in Internet, Emails and Microsoft Outlook.
- Past experience in troubleshooting ICT and Social Media related issues.
- Exhibit commitment to achieving results through proactively exploring what should be done to promote equity, sustainable development and to improve the lives of poor people.
- High levels and unstinting respect and courtesy for all genders, cultures, faiths, social backgrounds and for sufferers of HIV/AIDS, and a commitment to protecting children and vulnerable people.
- Integrity, honesty and compliance with NBD’s ethics policy.
- Impeccable levels of professionalism, technical rigour, reliability and attention to detail.
- Constructive, positive and optimistic engagement to turn problems to solutions, challenges to opportunities, and to help people and partners achieve mutual goals.
How to Apply:
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should send the following attachments in an email with ‘NBD APPLICATION’ as the subject heading to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com
Please include the following:
- A covering letter explaining why they are interested in undertaking this work and how they meet the person specification using clear examples from their previous experience.
- A current CV with email addresses and telephone numbers of two referees.
Deadline: 10th November 2014, 17:00 p.m. Entebbe-Uganda time
For More Ugandan Jobs, Please Visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline