Organization: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 16-Telecommunications Technology-RSCE-58502-R-ENTEBBE (M)
Reports to: Chief of the Unit
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
The Regional Service Centre, as approved by the Member States, is owned, managed and staffed by the regional missions it serves. This framework reinforces the existing missions’ chain of command structures and lines of authority in a manner that does not create an additional layer between Headquarters and the regional missions. It also ensures that staffing for RSC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Telecommunications Officer (Business Case Analyst) will be responsible for the following duties:
- Steers the engineering, design, installation and commissioning of various telecommunications systems and networks to include Local-, Metro- and Wide Area Networks
- The incumbent drafts specifications and standards for a wide range of telecommunications equipment such as network switches and routers, telephony switching systems, VSAT and INMARSAT satellite earth station systems, digital microwave systems, trunked radio systems, and UHF/VHF/HF mobile/repeater and fixed station systems
- Offers technical support in the development of technical specifications for procurement of equipment; evaluates vendor proposals, performs tests and recommends selection of telecommunications equipment; supports the establishment of equipment and service contracts, and serves as the contract administrator; identifies appropriate standards to procure communications equipment at the least cost and in the most expeditious manner
- Establishes performance standards for telecommunications equipment and services and recommends corrective measures to improve service quality and operational performance
- Provides planning support for rapid set-up and operation of communications infrastructure from “scratch” at local and wide area levels, including visiting regional sites for technical reconnaissance missions
- Provides engineering services related to planning, implementation and maintenance of Telecommunications Local- and Wide Area Networks
- The incumbent also coordinates with the satellite engineering and coordinating group at the UNGSC to enhance the deployment, operation and maintenance of the mission’s satellite communications network
- Provides emergency communications capabilities in support of staff security, including providing a focal point for inter-agency emergency field security communications liaison
- Works closely with the mission’s Human Resources Office in the preparation of training modules and other training activities in all aspects of communications technology usage
- Prepares and makes presentations on telecommunications networks and equipment to staff and other UN agencies
- Ensures effective coordination with other UN agencies in order to maximize possibilities of inter-agency collaboration in the field of telecommunications
- Mentors and supervises junior staff/technicians as required
- Performs any other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Telecommunications Officer (Business Case Analyst) career opportunity should hold an advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in electronic or telecommunications engineering, computer technology, Administration or related field is required. A first level university degree in combination with an additional two (2) years qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in electronic data transmission, network design, telecommunications or related area is required.
- Previous exposure and experience in Telecommunications used by the United Nations common system in support of Peacekeeping and Special Political Missions is desirable.
- Previous experience working in a United Nations common system field operation (inclusive of peacekeeping, political missions and UN agencies, funds, and programmes) – or similar international organisation or non-governmental organisation – in a conflict or post-conflict setting is desirable.
- Professional experience in administration, business analysis and project management within the United Nations is desirable.
- Possess excellent technical writing skills in writing business cases and business analysis - related is desirable.
- Languages: French and English are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of a wide range of telecommunication systems with adequate skills for leading a team through the installation, maintenance and operation of these systems. Knowledge of operations of commercial telecommunications services, voice and data communications networks, telephony switching, radio, satellite, microwave and trunked radio communication systems. Ability to analyze, review, and make recommendations to improve the delivery of telecommunications services. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (Application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the United Nations Regional Service Centre at Entebbe (RSCE) in the aforementioned capacity should express their interest by visiting the UN recruitment website and clicking Apply Now.
Deadline: 24th May 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline