Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Organisation: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Assistant FAOR (Administration)
Vacancy Announcement No: FRUGA/CIFAA/2015
Contract Level: FT-G5
The global mandate of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is to improve nutrition, increase agricultural productivity, raise the standard of living in rural populations and contribute to global economic growth. Achieving food security for all is at the heart of FAO’s efforts - to make sure people have regular access to enough high- quality food to lead active, healthy lives.
Job Summary: The FAO Senior Administrative Assistant provides administrative, financial and accounting support activities for the FAO Representation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will be responsible for maintaining the financial records and monitoring systems for the office; maintain imprest accounts; reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for day-to-day transactions and reports; manage the Country Office petty cash; monitor project and programme accounts for which responsibility is assigned.
- In charge of retrieving, entering, selecting and analyzing data from a wide variety of sources, including FAO’s corporate systems and data bases (e.g. the Field Accounting System (FAS), the Country Office Information System (COIN), Datawarehouse, etc.); verify accuracy of data documents; make necessary calculations.
- Intuitively verify availability of funds under all programmes; ensure that operational expenditures are in accordance with approved budgets and that all committing documents are complete and consistent.
- Prepare correspondence of administrative and financial nature; draft correspondence to verify data, answer queries, and obtain additional information on transactions and financial matters, as required
- Maintain detailed records of budget estimates, obligations and available balances; participate in the consolidation of budget proposals; prepare financial data for budget estimates and financial planning.
- Compile and submit reports on budgetary performance of office accounts, and, if required, of project accounts; report variations from budgets.
- Maintain local inventory records with responsibility for proper recording of assets, their maintenance and safeguard.
- Update and maintain a filing system of administrative and financial documents.
- Actively monitor the receipt of Government contributions and the transfer of ownership of the Organization’s equipment.
- Maintain liaison with local banks and financial institutions to keep up-to-date with financial and regulatory information (exchange and interest rates, procedures and rules, maintenance of bank accounts, etc.).
- Technically support the streamlining of procedures and practices and the introduction of new information technologies to the office.
- Support the administration of personnel and equipment.
- Perform any other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations FAO career opportunity should have completed secondary school education.
- Possess specialized training in administration, finance, accounting and/or office management.
- At least four years of administrative, accounting and office management experience.
Computer and IT Skills:
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Exchange) et al.
- Ability to effectively use accounting software and information systems.
Office Management Skills:
- Detailed working knowledge of FAO’s administrative and accounting systems and procedures.
- Systematic and efficient approach to work assignments, good judgment and analytical ability.
Interpersonal Communications and Teamwork Skills:
- The incumbent must possess a cooperative spirit, flexibility and openness to work in an international environment within a team of staff with mixed skills and different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Tact, courtesy and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural background.
Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country (English) and working knowledge of the local language(s) is required.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan nationals should send their applications together with detailed curriculum vitae and copies of certificates in a sealed envelope, quoting Vacancy Announcement FRUGA/01/ADM/2015-Senior Administrative Assistant, addressed to Chairman, Recruitment Committee, Food and Agriculture Organization in Uganda. The envelopes with applications should be registered at reception and placed in the box at the reception of FAO Uganda Offices at Plot 88 Buganda Road, Wandegeya, Kampala, Uganda.
Note: FAO does not charge applicants any fees at any stage in the recruitment process.
Deadline: 27th March 2015 by 2:00 pm