Organisation: United States Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: USAID Office, Kampala, Uganda
Vacancy Number: 44/15
About US Embassy:
Welcome to the United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda. The United States has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Scott H. DeLisi currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
· United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
· Centers for Disease Control
· Peace Corps
Job Summary: The US Embassy Program Management Specialist (Deputy Family Health Unit Leader) will support USAID/Uganda through the provision of technical and programmatic leadership in the areas of maternal, newborn, and child health, reproductive health, family planning, nutrition, national surveys, and health systems (commodities and logistics, human resources, financing etc.) as it relates to these areas.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
· The ideal candidate for the US Embassy career opportunity should hold a Graduate level degree (Masters, PhD, MD, MPH, Or DrPH) in social or behavioral sciences, public health, health. A Master’s degree (or higher) in Public Health is strongly preferred.
· At least eight (8) years of work experience in health/public health, and/or in health/public health organizations, of which five (5) years of experience programming and managing public health programs with donor, international, NGO/CSO and/or GOU organizations three (3) years of progressively responsible supervisory experience and other relevant trainings or certifications to augment university degrees and work experience.
· Detailed and broad knowledge of current technical information and programmatic approaches in maternal and child health, family planning and reproductive health, infectious diseases and control, nutrition, HIV/ AIDS, and environmental health and sanitation, and how they affect different populations, geographically, socioeconomically, with other disease burdens (e.g. people living with HIV), internally displaced persons, and otherwise disadvantaged in order to give detailed advice to other decision makers and be involved in key strategic decisions within the Mission and with high levels of the GOU.
· The applicant must have detailed and broad knowledge of Uganda’s political situation, legal and regulatory frameworks, donor relationships and priorities as it relates to health and health systems.
· Ability to develop detailed and broad knowledge of USAID technical and business processes in order to advise senior management on key issues related to health, and to represent USG to donors and to GOU.
· Working knowledge of health systems, health sector strategic planning, health financing, public accounting systems, Swaps, and decentralization. Clear understanding of how gender impacts on health.
· The incumbent is expected to possess detailed working knowledge of USAID and GOU/MOH monitoring and evaluation systems.
· Thorough knowledge of Uganda’s economic, political, social and cultural characteristics and the history of development assistance.
· Prior management and supervisory experience, including human resource management. Knowledge of USAID’s business processes preferred.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within the USG Mission including USAID (Mission and Headquarters), State Department, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), The Department of Defense, the National Institutes of Health, and Peace Corps.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with implementing partners, private sector partners, other donor partners, and both central and district level Government of Uganda counterparts.
· Strong Analytical ability to: a) analyze ongoing public health interventions to assess their efficacy and efficiency; and b) obtain, analyze, and evaluate data and prepare precise and accurate reports for other decision-makers.
· Multitask and exercise sound judgment and decision-making in a very fast paced, dynamic environment, independently and effectively plan, organize; manage and evaluate important, responsible and complex projects for individual and team work. Consistently demonstrate excellent technical and project management skills to review and provide substantive feedback on documents including concept papers, proposals, program descriptions/scopes of work, annual submissions for various operational plan planning processes, oral and written feedback to implementing partners, and other technical and programmatic documents, identify significant economic, political and social trends in the host country and assess their important and impact on USAID development assistance objectives and programs. Draft factual and interpretive reports covering complex subject-matter, ability to work in and appreciate a culturally diverse office, and able to translate local customs and culture to American counterparts and senior staff as necessary, work collaboratively, professionally, and-positively with all other USAID staff to achieve team objectives, excellent interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and tact, to work effectively with people at all levels, from senior officials to support staff, accepting divergent points of view, able to set forth new ideas, and able to help find consensus to achieve team goals.
· Ability to lead a team when necessary, allowing for two-way communication, bringing divergent views together to consensus, and exercising fair judgment and decision-making.
· Ability to positively appraise staff, Write annual performance evaluations, and set mutually .agreed-upon and achievable work objectives for staff that s/he supervises.
· Proven ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing - and able to help others do the same.
· Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office, web-based databases, and electronic filing, including the ability to help others and the ability to learn new programs quickly is required to adequately perform in this position.
· Language proficiency: Level 4 fluency in English (written and oral) language. Knowledge of one or more Ugandan local languages preferred.
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the US mission in Kampala should send their applications and strictly adhere to the following:
· Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) Download it Here.
· A current resume or curriculum vitae.
· Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
· Any other documentation (e.g. essays, transcripts/certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
Submit Application To:
Human Resources Office
By email at KampalaHR@state.gov
NB: Only electronic submissions will be accepted and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please clearly indicate the position applied for in the subject area of the email submission.
Please use standard file types such as Microsoft Word (.doc) and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) and please send all documents in one file attachment.
Deadline: 12th July 2015
The US Mission in Kampala provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
For More Ugandan Jobs, Please Visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline