Job Title: Agribusiness Coordinator
Organization: Wageningen UR Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party
Centre for Development Innovation (CDI) is the interdisciplinary and internationally focused unit of Wageningen University & Research Centre. CDI works on processes of innovation and change through facilitating innovation, brokering knowledge and supporting capacity development. The proposed Integrated Seed Sector Development (ISSD) Plus Uganda programme is coordinated by CDI and implemented by Wageningen UR Uganda, the legal entity in Uganda. The four-year ISSD Plus project to be funded by the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Kampala. The programme aims to strengthen the development of a vibrant, pluralistic and market-oriented seed sector that is able to address key challenges that hamper the seed sector development such as seed quality assurance and availability of foundation seed.
Job Summary: The Agribusiness Coordinator will coordinate and supervise technical support that zonal agribusiness experts provide to out-scaling partners and farmer groups to become commercially sustainable local seed businesses. The focus is on developing commercial capacities of the farmers towards becoming professional seed entrepreneurs. The agribusiness coordinator will coordinate the out-scaling activities and will also be responsible for coordinating activities under professionalising existing LSBs (output 2.3). The agribusiness coordinator will work directly with the zonal agribusiness experts and in close collaboration with the seed coordinator and experts, EGS coordinator, partnership coordinator ZARDI staff, District Local Government, (District Commercial Officer and Community development Officers), local NGOs and other stakeholders. Additionally, the agribusiness coordinator will facilitate innovation, broker knowledge and inspire new forms of collaboration between farmers, BDS providers, public sector, businesses, NGOs and the scientific community.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Technical Backstopping and Collaboration:
· Offer technical backstopping to a team of zonal agribusiness experts stationed at ZARDIs in all technical matters related to agribusiness development as well as the knowledge transfer skills.
· The incumbent will coordinate and supervise the technical backstopping by the agribusiness experts to LSBs and Out-scaling partners on market orientation, market research and business planning.
· Coordinate and supervise the support by the Agribusiness experts to farmer groups in the strengthening of their organizational capacity; training and coaching on group dynamics and business organization principles; and creating cohesion, trust and social capital.
· Manage the collaboration between the agribusiness experts and ZARDI staff (especially the socio-economist), District Local Governments, (District Commercial Officer and Community development Officers) and other BDS providers in supporting farmer groups towards becoming commercially sustainable seed entrepreneurs.
· Oversee and coordinate the access by the farmer groups to research, extension, market, quality assurance, credit and other necessary inputs.
· Work closely with the Gender & Youth Specialist, ensure and coordinate the mainstreaming gender and youth approaches into the development of Local Seed Businesses.
· Supervise and backstop the activities of the LSB associations to foster their effectiveness and sustainability.
· Prepare innovative approaches and technical backstopping on the upgrading of the existing LSBs to significantly advance their scale of business (output 2.3).
Staff Supervision: Provide technical supervision to the all the agribusiness experts on the execution of their LSB support including sanctioning their annual and quarterly work-plans, and all individual activity schedules and budgets and coordinating timely zonal reporting.
· Take lead in designing, testing and disseminating new methodologies on improving business management skills of LSBs and particularly for upgrading existing LSBs.
· Take lead in designing, testing and disseminating innovations in terms of financial management and marketing for LSBs
· Manage the development of competitive grant proposals for any seed production and marketing infrastructure and innovation projects by the farmer groups.
Work-planning and Reporting:
· Actively facilitate the translation of intervention strategies into action plans with concrete activities, targets and timeframes
· Work closely with the seed coordinator, support the zonal teams to prepare realistic annual and quarterly workplan output 2.2
· Prepare annual work plans and quarterly work plans on professionalising existing LSBs and report on them quarterly and annually, in close collaboration with seed coordinator for productivity enhancement aspects.
· Work in liaison with Seed Coordinator, compile and submit timely quarterly and annual reports on Local Seed Business development (Objective 2).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate must hold a BSc in Agriculture plus a relevant post graduate academic qualification in business administration, agribusiness or agricultural economics, with an orientation towards participatory agricultural development. An MBA is an added advantage
· A minimum of five years’ work experience in agri-business in Uganda
· Thorough knowledge on developing marketing strategy using the 4P concept
· Demonstrated ability to collaborate with small-scale farmers, and other type of stakeholder groups (across different levels)
· A strong interest in linking theory with policy and practice
· Previous experience with supervising staff is an added advantage
· Excellent English language skills
· Willingness to travel extensively with the country
· Ugandan nationality
How to Apply:
All suitably and qualified and interested candidates should send their application letters and updated CVs (max. 6 pages) to email@example.com
NB: DO NOT attach certificates or academic qualification.
Deadline: 23rd October 2016