Job Title: Legal Officer (Several Career Positions)
Organization: National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Manager, Legal
The National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA) was established on the passing of the Uganda Registration of Persons Act, 2015. The Act was made to harmonise and consolidate the law on registration of persons; to provide for registration of individuals and to establish a national identification register. It provides for the mandatory registration of all Ugandan citizens within Uganda and abroad as well as aliens identification cards and for related matters.
Job Summary: The Legal Officer will provide legal support services to the Authority
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides legal advisory services to the Authority including but not limited to drafting legal opinions, memoranda and other related legal documents
- Drafts contracts and other related legal documents for review and finalization
- The incumbent drafts pleadings, follows up on legal proceedings in court and provides updates
- Ensures compliance with applicable Laws of Uganda
- Offers technical input in the development and implementation of compliance processes and procedures
- Actively participates in the review of existing legislation governing the operations of NIRA and advises on areas for amendment
- Carries out legal research and due diligence as may be directed
- Brings to the attention of the Manager Compliance and Enforcement areas where the Authority is not fully complying with established laws and recommendations for improvement
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Manager, Legal.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA) Legal Officer job opportunity should hold an Honors’ University degree in Law and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from a recognized University
- The applicant must be enrolled as an Advocate of the Courts of judicature
- A current Practicing Certificate from the Uganda Law Council will be of added advantage
- A minimum of three (3) years relevant work experience in a busy reputable public and private organization
- Computer literacy skills
- Skills in conflict resolution and arbitration
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested persons should send their applications, curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates/ testimonials to the National Director, Profiles International Uganda Limited (PIUL), Plot 26B Tufnell Drive, Kamwokya, Kampala, P.O. Box 3024, Kampala or hand deliver the application at its offices indicated above from 8.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Please indicate a daytime telephone contact and names and contact details of three professional referees. Also, in your application letter and on the cover of the envelope, clearly indicate which position you are applying for.
Deadline: 24th August, 2016
NB: If you do not hear from NIRA within two months from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing or lobbying will lead to disqualification.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline