Job Title: Head Finance & Resources
About British Council:
The British Council is the United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We build engagement and trust between people of different cultures through the exchange of knowledge and ideas. Our approach to cultural relations harnesses the power of education, the arts and creativity, sport, science, English and governance to build relationships of mutual benefit worldwide and to address global issues.
Job Summary: To contribute to the delivery of the operation in Uganda through effective management of the Finance, Facilities and Resources functions. To enable the Council to meet its objectives and to ensure the operation runs to maximum cost effectiveness and in an efficient, secure and appropriately controlled financial environment and to provide timely and adequately information to support the business in the decision making process. Also, to provide BC Uganda staff and management with HR services in coordination with Human Resource Policies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Manage the financial planning, monitoring and reporting process for the office by discussing individual budget areas/components with budget holders and making recommendations for managing adjustments at country level.
· Provide oversight of daily country financial tasks and provide general accounting and financial services in line with corporate requirements.
· Decision Support: Context Analysis and Risk Management Contribute to external environment risk analysis and management by monitoring external (political, legal and economic) and internal (corporate standards and procedures) environments; and analyse changes and developments; recommending appropriate course of action in response to environmental changes.
· Manage delivery of financial services by contributing to the development of finance policies and processes, and ensuring compliance with corporate policy, current legislation, funder requirements and best practice; using audits as opportunity for demonstrating good.
· Provide Human Resource guidance to the team in line with Human Resource policies and implement all policy changes as directed by regional and global HR teams, following (where necessary) consultation with labour law advisors and local country management teams.
· Serve as member of country senior management team (SMT), country programme team and other teams as appropriate.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
· Management accounting experience including budgeting, forecasting, monthly reporting
· Proven ability for implementing and monitoring financial controls
· Ability to combine strategic thinking, leadership activities and operational management across finance, HR and admin functions
· Strong team player, self-starter and ability to be an active member of the senior management team
· Experience in financial management in a multinational company or with an international
· development agency
· Relevant accounting qualifications
How to apply:
The full role profile, an application form, a definition guide for the behaviours and Generic Skills Dictionary can be found on our website http://www.britishcouncil.org/africa-vacancies.htm . Completed application forms should be submitted via email to email@example.com with subject “Application for the job of Head Partnerships &Projects” or “Head Finance &Resources” by 04:00 PM on Friday 1 March 2013. Only applications received on the British Council application form will be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The British Council is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity and Diversity and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community. We guarantee an interview to disabled candidates who meet the essential criteria.
The British Council is also committed to a Child Protection Policy; applications will be considered only for candidates