Job Title: In-Charge Artificial Insemination
Organisation: National Animal Genetic Resources Centre and Data Bank (NAGRC&DB)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Technical Manager, Production
The National Animal Genetics Resources Centre and Data Bank, (NAGRC&DB) is a body corporate under the Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries whose mandate is to take a leading role in establishing a comprehensive National Animal Breeding Programme in Uganda.
Job Summary: The In-Charge Artificial Insemination will primarily ensure that the uptake for artificial insemination in the country takes an upward trend through ensuring delivery of inputs to the stakeholders, sensitization of farmers, training of AI technicians
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The jobholder investigates, identifies and selects the most suitable matches in the herd population for artificial insemination based on their reproductive efficiency record.
· Prepares the animal, times and conducts Al procedures.
· The incumbent evaluates conception following Al to allow for resynchronization of non-pregnant cows and repetition of Al service.
· Documents Al processes and results.
· Offers timely support to the extension of Al breeding technologies for outreach programs to .breeder associations/ societies and farmers.
· Mentors and trains technicians in the application of Al technologies in reproduction and breeding.
· Actively participates in providing technical support for the procurement and distribution of appropriate reproductive materials and tools/ equipment.
· Supports the collection and evaluation of semen to facilitate assisted reproduction and breeding initiatives.
· Collaborates in the production and distribution of liquid nitrogen
· Work with the Uganda National Artificial Inseminator Technician Association (UNAITA).
· Performs any other official duties as assigned by the immediate Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate should preferably hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Veterinary Medicine, Agricultural Sciences, Biochemistry or equivalent qualification from a recognized degree awarding institution.
· Possession of a Master’s degree in Veterinary Medicine or Molecular Biology or equivalent qualification from recognized degree awarding institution.
· At least three years’ experience in animal industry is a prerequisite.
· Previous experience in Assisted Reproductive Techniques (ARTs) is an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates should send their updated CVs, applications, testimonials and three professional referees (one of whom should be work-based) to;
The Executive Director,
Attn: Human Resource / Administration,
National Animal Genetic Resources Centre and DataBank (NAGRC & DB)
P.O. Box 183, Entebbe-Uganda.
Note: Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 28th November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline