Job Title: Information Technology Operations Associate
Organization: World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: IT Operations Officer
Position Grade: G6
Reference Number: 16-0022532
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency against world hunger. It is the largest and longest serving humanitarian agency in Uganda. Currently WFP focuses on three priority areas namely: Emergency Humanitarian Action (EHA); Food & Nutrition Security (FNS); and Agriculture & Market Support (AMS). WFP has operations in various parts of the Country.
Job Summary: The Information Technology Operations Associate will be responsible for installation, upgrade and maintenance of Information Technology (IT) infrastructure and related services in Uganda UN WFP Programme Country Office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The jobholder will install, modify and maintain LAN/WAN components, application and utility software;
· Diagnose problems related to the cable plant, network client computers, printers and applications and take corrective measures;
· Carry out periodic review of the existing network infrastructure and advise on capacity planning and infrastructure modernisation;
· Periodically provide equipment specifications as required by procurement procedures from time to time.
· Regularly monitor network and systems performance and carry out periodic analysis in order to locate and isolate/remove bottlenecks;
· Ensure that the information technology (IT) equipment are in proper repair and working order to maintain satisfactory usage;
· Install, configure and maintain of Network hardware such as switches, routers, firewalls, and software;
· The jobholder will successfully identify and undertake prompt incident management, problem management and configuration management as escalated from the ICT help desk;
· Identify and test new software and hardware from improving and upgrading IT systems performance including implementing technology upgrades as required;
· Ensure adherence to system security procedures including password protection and physical security and that the only authorised software is installed on the network;
· Ensure anti-virus software is installed on the network and that it is regularly updated;
· Perform daily systems back up and test effectiveness according to schedule;
· Proactively seek out and identify activities in the different functional areas for which ICT solutions are required and in collaboration with users, prepare ICT project business cases and plans;
· Resolve a variety of problems and/or assist in resolution of problems to ensure that users progress with daily operational tasks with minimal interruption;
· Train and Support users of technology and systems, such as, database, networks, audio/video conferences, meetings etc.;
· Evaluate, develop, and recommend procedures. Participate in discussions on new/revised procedures and practices; interpret and assess the impact of changes and make recommendations on follow up actions;
· Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicants for the United Nations UN World Food Programme (WFP) Information Technology Operations Associate job placement should hold a University degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems or Statistics with Computer programming, Information Technology, Business Computing or related field obtained from a recognized institution;
· A minimum of five years’ relevant working experience in a busy network environment of progressive and responsible technical experience in Telecommunications, Information Technology, electronics, radio/satellite operations;
· Hands-on experience in use of windows 2012 Server, Microsoft Outlook, Radio Communications, Internet protocols will be added advantage;
· Proficiency in both oral and written English is essential;
· Computer literacy i.e. working knowledge of Ms Office.
How to Apply:
All candidates who desire to join the United Nations World Food Programme to submit their applications online, Click Here
Step 1: Register and create your online CV
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NB: You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline: 24th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline