Job Title: Senior Intellectual Property Rights Officer
Organization: National Agricultural Research Organisation (NARO)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Director General, Agricultural Technology Promotion
The National Agricultural Research Organisation is established by the National Agricultural Research Act 2005 as a body corporate with the mandate to provide strategic direction for publically funded agricultural research in Uganda. The organisation is composed of the Council as its governing body, Committees of Council, a Secretariat for its day-to-day operations with semi-autonomous Public Agricultural Research Institutes (PARI’s) under its policy guidance.
Job Summary: The Senior Intellectual Property Rights Officer will provide leadership and guidance in identifying and protecting NARO products with potential for commercialization, and ensuring that rewards and benefits are shared according to policy guidelines.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The jobholder will provide leadership and guidance in developing and implementing policy frameworks for commercial exploitation of NARO’s intellectual properties
- Support and strengthen Intellectual Property Management in NARO.
- Actively promote economic activity arising from the products of research and innovation
- Draft agreements and other IP documents concerning research for utilisation of NARO IPs. In addition, follow up all IP legal arrangements to ensure currency and relevancy.
- Ensure availability and security of an inventory/database of all NARO’s research activities and innovations leading to intellectual assets.
- The incumbent will coordinate the provision of research entrepreneurial skills, and raise awareness through training of staff and stakeholders on Intellectual Assets and Intellectual Property Rights.
- Carry out regular beneficiary assessments to get feedback and advise the research process accordingly.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the immediate supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the NARO Senior Intellectual Property Rights Officer job vacancy must be a Ugandan who possesses a good Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, biological and environmental sciences plus a Master’s degree focussing on intellectual property rights from a recognised university.
- At least four years’ experience in managing and promoting application of IPR to benefit organisations and individuals.
- Demonstrable working experience of commercialising intellectual property rights.
- Good report writing and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work, and timely produce accurate results in an environment with multiple and challenging tasks to be handled simultaneously.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join NARO are encouraged to send their applications to the Director General, National Agricultural Research Organization, P.O. Box 295, Entebbe, Uganda.
The complete applications should include applications, detailed curriculum vitae giving day-time telephone contacts, names and postal/e-mail addresses and daytime telephone contact of 3 (three) referees of good standing in society as well as copies of professional certificates and testimonials.
Deadline: 7th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline