Job Title: Government Relations Manager
Organization: Bridge International Academies
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Corporate & Public Affairs Head
Bridge International Academies is the world’s largest and fastest-growing chain of primary and pre-primary schools with more than 400 academies and 120,000 pupils in Kenya and Uganda. Bridge International Academies is an education innovation organization that designs technology-enabled, national-syllabus aligned primary and nursery school content to empower communities to give children a high-quality education. Bridge directly operates over 460 schools across Uganda, Kenya, Nigeria and India and acts as a government school operator for approximately 25 public primary and nursery schools in Liberia. In Uganda specifically we currently operate 63 schools across all regions of the country. Bridge works with parents, teachers and communities to provide the technology, training and resources to provide under-served communities with the support they need to deliver an education to their children that engages their hearts and minds, and ensures that they will complete primary school literate and numerate and able to take on the world.
Job Summary: The Government Relations Manager will drive Bridge’s relationships with different levels of government in Uganda. The role would primarily focus on working with various local government stakeholders we have across Uganda who are both partners to and regulators of Bridge to ensure compliance and alignment. To do so effectively the role will also require broader stake-holder engagement with civil society, local parliamentarians and the private sector in the communities we operate in. To a lesser extent, the role will also require liaising with government and civil society at the national level.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Government Relations – Coordinate complex interactions with our regulators, including but not limited to, legislators, Members of Parliament, Local Government Officials, Ministry officials, etc.
· Stakeholder mapping and engagement – Manage broader strategic stakeholder management with NGO/donor/think tank/academic and other important 'influencers'. Both in the hopes of obtaining material support for our communities and also managing our broader relations/standing with this important community;
· Public private partnerships – Identify opportunities and work with partners in the private sector to drive efficient service delivery with government schools;
· Policy – Work closely with key stakeholders on consultative efforts to drive reforms in delivery of education to underserved communities;
· Drive strategy – Establish and implement short- and long-range goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures for government and stakeholder relations; monitor and evaluates program effectiveness; and effect changes required for improvement
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Bridge International Academies Government Relations Manager job opportunity should hold a Master’s degree with superior academic performance;
· At least eight years’ experience in public affairs, government relations, stakeholder engagement and/or partnerships, experience in the Ministry of Education preferred,
· Broad knowledge of national and district government organisation and legislative processes in primary education;
· Rolodex of contacts within the Ministry of Education, NCDC and UNEB, as well as NGOs, major philanthropists and education organisations;
· Knowledge of district and national government issues related to the provision of primary education;
· Significant experience working for a political, non-profit, or other social campaigns that concern an idea or a movement rather than a product.
· The ideal candidate will have a strong ability to multi-task and take ownership of all aspects of such activities. They will be an extremely effective communicator, both written and verbal, and are energized by interacting with people, building relationships, and networking.
· A keen sense of ownership, speedy execution, and scrappiness is a must.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to apply for this vacancy are encouraged to send their updated CVs to email@example.com with the subject line “Government Relations Manager.”
Deadline: 5th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline