Job Title: Psychosocial Counsellor
Organization: Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid (HIJRA)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Camp Manager and Protection Officer
Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid (HIJRA) is an international humanitarian and development organization that positively contributes towards improving the living standards and conditions of those adversely affected by disasters and conflict in the Horn, East & Central Africa by implementing WASH, Health, Education, Livelihoods, Community service & development and Protection programs in the region for a period of more than 20 years. HIJRA with funding from the UNHCR in Uganda is implementing a multi-sectoral program for refugees in Oruchinga settlement (Isingiro district) and Nyakabande Transit Center (Kisoro district).
Job Summary: The Psychosocial Counsellor is mainly responsible for the day-to-day psychological support of the beneficiaries as well as providing specialized counseling support to Child Protection and SGBV cases.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer individual or group psychological support such as counseling and support groups to beneficiaries.
- If needed refer beneficiaries for case management to the case worker.
- Provide training to staff on how to identify signs of possible abuse affecting the beneficiaries at the center (Nyakabande) and encountered, through outreach and awareness raising activities.
- Provide a clinical psychological assessment on selected cases referred by the case workers.
- Offer timely psychological support to cases referred by the case workers in line with objectives.
- Produce and maintain accurate clinical records of the beneficiaries.
- Closely monitor and document the psychological recovery of cases referred by the case workers.
- Prepare and submit technical reports on specific cases identified during the individual psychological support sessions.
- Mentor and train volunteers and other local actors and community members on the identification and referral of Child Protection and SGBV cases and principles on working with children and survivors.
- Set-up a monitoring system to evaluate the effectiveness and the impact of the planned individual and group psychological support intervention programs on the beneficiaries.
- Prepare and submit weekly and monthly reports to the Camp Manager.
- Perform any other duties as required by the supervisor and take part in any other activities as requested by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the HIJRA Psychosocial Counsellor career opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Counseling, Psychology or other related field.
- At least two years of relevant professional experience
- Previous exposure and experience working with vulnerable people including survivors of SGBV and victims of child abuse.
- Strong knowledge of Child Friendly interview techniques and communicating with children
- Familiarity with guidelines on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in emergency settings.
- Strong organizational and supervisory skills with excellent reporting & writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skill and communication skills.
- Excellent command of verbal and written English.
- Computer literacy i.e. Word and Excel.
- The counselor should have a compassionate, caring, and non-judgmental personality.
- The counselor should be a person who keeps sensitive information to him/herself.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan Nationals should submit a motivation letter and Curriculum Vitae including telephone and emails contacts of three referees including your current/most recent employer. Applications, addressed to the:
Country Program Manager,
Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief AID (HIJRA),
P.O. Box 37703, Kampala, Uganda
Email to: email@example.com. The subject line should read Psychosocial Counsellor.
Deadline: 26th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline