Job Title: Livelihood and Gender Officer
Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Funding Source: European Union Emergency Trust Fund for Africa
Reports to: Livelihood / Gender Coordinator
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
About EU Project:
DRC is presently leading a Consortium of four NGOs (DRC, ZOA, Save the Children, and CEFORD) which has been selected to implement a program in Northern Uganda to support the self-reliance, resilience and social stability of displacement-affected communities, South Sudanese refugees and their host communities. The Consortium is implementing a 3-year project implemented by a consortium of NGOs and funded under the European Union Emergency Trust Fund for Africa to respond to refugee settlements in West Nile of Uganda.
Job Summary: The Livelihood and Gender Officer assists the Livelihood and Gender Coordinator and the EU Trust Fund project manager in the field implementation of the livelihood component of the EU Trust Fund Project in Adjumani settlement, Uganda. The Livelihood and Gender Officer will closely monitor the quality of the activities and ensure a close coordination with the authorities, other service providers and the community for the implementation of the activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Coordination/ Representation:
- Under the supervision of the Livelihood and Gender Coordinator and EU Trust Fund Project Manager, attend and represent the interests of DRC in all livelihood related meetings
- Actively coordinate within the jurisdiction of your responsibility
- Represent DRC with the Local Authorities and other stakeholders in the districts of jurisdiction.
- Attend and represent the interests of DRC in all Livelihood and Gender related meetings
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting to ensure internal coordination with livelihood team and other sectors
- Actively contribute and actively participate in a regular sector meeting
2. Project Development, Implementation and Reporting:
- The jobholder will contribute to concept and proposal development in the livelihood and Gender thematic areas
- Contribute to the gap analysis in the areas of Livelihoods and contribute in the development of new thematic areas according to analysis
- Responsible for day to day activity implementation through efficient and Effective way
- Actively contribute to the design of capacity building syllabus and materials and effectively implement the trainings at all level
- Manages the day-to-day livelihood activities, including activity finances while bearing in mind DRC’s/Donor financial regulations.
- Prepare weekly work plans for the team, submit it to the Livelihood and Gender Coordinator and EU Trust Fund Projects Manager and circulate to the DRC Teams and ensure work plans are implemented as per the approved work plan.
- Monitor and document DRC’s livelihood activities.
- Prepare/contribute to weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual, donor and other reports in the areas of livelihoods and environment
3. Staff Management:
- Mentor and supervise Livelihood and Gender Assistants working for the EU Trust Fund project in districts of jurisdiction.
- Uphold DRC’s code of conduct and principles of accountability
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership for the livelihood staff members and community based mechanisms in Adjumani operational area as needed.
- Develop staff performance measurement and targets and appraise them based on the set targets.
- Conduct daily field visits to support field staffs - mentoring - through technical back stopping and to train duty bearers
4. Logistics /Finance:
- Assist the Livelihood and Gender Coordinator to monitor financial commitments and expenditures against EU Trust Fund budget and provide timely feedback on budget follow ups.
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different clusters.
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
- Ensure the delivery of supplies
- Contribute to grants management of all livelihood / Gender projects through management of day to day project expenditures
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Livelihood and Gender Officer job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Agro-business Management, Enterprise Management, business development or other related field with in depth understanding of rural poverty and vulnerability issues.
- A minimum of three years of related work experience in similar positions.
- Excellent knowledge in preparing major international donor reports.
- Knowledge and experience of working with ECHO, EU donors.
- Excellent analytical and conceptual skills.
- Proven commitment to accountable practices.
- Knowledge of working in challenging environments.
- Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
- Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humour.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications including;
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and please indicate your salary expectations
- Updated and detailed (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualifications, relevant training courses, work experience, and name and contact details of three relevant references.
The complete application package should be uploaded online, Click Here
Deadline: 14th September 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline