Job Title: Market and Financial Services Officer
Organization: Mercy Corps
Project Name: USAID Building Resilience and Adaptation to Climate extremes and disaster (BRACED Program
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Market Development Specialist
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps is an International NGO that exists to alleviate poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been fully registered in Uganda as an operational NGO. Currently Mercy Corps has an office in Kampala and is implementing Food Security programs which comprise of Water and Sanitation, Livelihood and Agriculture and Conflict Mitigation Management Program in North and North Eastern Uganda. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim and Kotido with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
About USAID BRACED Program:
Mercy Corps was awarded a market-development focused 5-year USAID/Food for Peace-funded program working in the northern half of Karamoja called Building Resilience and Adaptation to Climate extremes and disaster (BRACED). The project supports the immediate needs of program beneficiaries while also promoting long term development by spurring systemic improvements in key economic sectors in the Districts of Napak, Moroto, Kotido and Kaabong. Since January 2015, BRACED has been supporting private Businesses ranging from agro vets, entrepreneurs Ag-input retailers and also the SACCOs in providing financial services to assist rural population to access secure savings and business loans to strengthen businesses in a bid to build their resilience to shocks and stresses.
Job Summary: The Market and Financial Services Officer will largely participate in the markets team to promote access to Financial products and services(through the SACCOs & VSLAs), Agricultural inputs, Clean Energy products, work with Hand pump mechanics associations to set up franchise in 3- 4 locations. The incumbent will work with Agro-vets and CAHWs in the provision of Livestock health services. He / She may also be required to support the Natural Resources Management and gender teams with activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- With supervision and guidance from the team leader undertake assessments and project design in the target geographic areas to assess current situation, economic opportunities and resources, needs and potential programs as well as obstacles that could be mitigated through BRACED engagement with public and private sector actors
- The jobholder will work in liaison with the Market Systems/financial services team leader and all other teams in planning and implementation of Markets systems and financial access components of the projects accordance to the approved work plan and budgets, project document and implementation strategies.
- Offer continuous support and oversee activities of the local financial institutions and VSLAs identified for capacity building support.
- The Market and Financial Services Officer will work closely with all other program teams at local level to identify Local Business Entrepreneurs like CAHWs, Agro-vets financial services providers etc. and support service extension as well as to ensure synergy and to maximize program impact.
- Emphasize the role of and opportunities for women and girls in the economic realm in both rural roles and in the urban sphere.
- Work in liaison with team leaders, Identify value-addition opportunities that strengthen economic opportunities, especially for rural women and urban poor, in the livestock and agriculture sectors as identified by local and national government as well as independent market studies and needs assessments; these will focus on urbanized areas such as Moroto and Napak and districts that are heavily engaged in agriculture development;
- Actively participate in the periodic program planning, review and reflection meetings and sessions.
- Prepare and submit periodic work plans and progress reports.
- Maintain proper filling system as needed.
- Work closely with the monitoring, evaluation, learning and communication staff to capture data and learning for measuring output and impact of the program as well as opportunities for redesign.
- Coordinate with other Mercy Corps programs and local government bodies to ensure coherent program implementation and to capitalize on business opportunities in Mercy Corps’ target communities.
- Assists in all other tasks and duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its mission
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Market and Financial Services Officer career job should hold a university degree in Finance, Economics, business Studies, Development and Social Sciences studies.
- At least three years of professional experience in, Microfinance institutions, SACCOs, international NGOs.
- Previous experience in mobilization and organization of saving and lending groups in the Savings and Internal Lending Communities’ (SILC) Model.
- Computer literacy with good knowledge of office applications and data base is required.
- Ability to work independently and with less supervision.
- Willingness to spend much time in the field and work closely with program target groups.
- Motorbike riding experience and a valid riding permit is essential.
- Must be a team player with less supervision requirements.
- Excellent communication and diplomatic skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as part of a regional team and with international professionals.
- Excellent analytical and information management skills.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work under stress and in austere contexts of remote locations.
- Flexible and creative in planning and problem solving.
- Attention to detail, ability to follow procedures and meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Fluency in both spoken and written English. Knowledge of the local language (Ngakaramojong) is an advantage.
How to Apply:
All prospective Ugandans who wish to join Mercy Corps are encouraged to send their applications via email including a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road.
Deadline: 5th August, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline