Job Title: Data Visualization Specialist
Organization: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nation’s global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
About Global Pulse:
Global Pulse is an innovation initiative of the United Nations Secretary-General on Big Data. Its vision is a future in which big data is harnessed safely and responsibly as a public good. Its mission is to accelerate discovery, development and scaled adoption of big data innovation for sustainable development and humanitarian action. Global Pulse is building a catalytic network of in-country innovation centers, which will test new tools, data and analysis, share what lessons with the global community, mainstream successful approaches for real-time impact monitoring into policymaking. The first Lab has been established in New York (Pulse Lab New York) followed by Jakarta, Indonesia and Kampala, Uganda. Pulse Lab Kampala is an inter-agency initiative of the United Nations under the leadership of the UN Resident Coordinator in Uganda. The first of its kind in Africa, it brings together researchers from Government, the UN, non-governmental organizations and private sector to explore the utility of new sources of digital “Big Data” (such as social media, mobile data, online information) and real-time analysis techniques for sustainable development and humanitarian assistance.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will support Pulse Lab Kampala to implement data innovation projects.
- The specialist will produce data visualization products to communicate applied innovative data projects in collaboration with partners from the UN system, the private sector and academia.
- The consultant will create visualizations for Pulse Lab Kampala data innovation projects with the aim to communicate clearly project results to wide audiences.
- The consultant will create visualizations using maps, statistical representations, plots, information graphics, tables, and charts. The visualizations should make complex data analysis accessible, understandable and usable by different users.
- The specialist is expected to work in close consultation with the Data Scientist at Pulse Lab Kampala;
- The specialist will work with the team at Pulse Lab Kampala;
- Copyright and ownership - all materials produced and other intellectual property will be solely owned by Pulse Lab Kampala. Any material provided to the expert will remain the property of Pulse Lab Kampala.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the United Nations UNDP Data Visualization Specialist job placement should hold an Advanced university degree in Design, Computer Science, Data Science, International Development, Business Administration, Economics, Engineering, or other relevant discipline;
- A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two years qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least three years of progressively responsible work experience in data visualization, visual design, front-end design or any related discipline;
- Previous experience developing user-facing software and user-centered design is required;
- Experience using visualization libraries and software like with D3.js, Crossfilter/dc.js, Leaflet.js, Processing/P5.js, CartoDB or Mapbox or similar software is required;
- Experience with front-end frameworks and libraries like Bootstrap, AngularJS, ReactJS, ember.js. or similar frameworks is required;
- Experience in front-end quality assurance is an asset;
- Experience working in Africa is an asset;
- Proven ability to manage relationships with partners, including government, universities, UN organizations, NGOs or private sector;
- Experience with working with a diverse team and being able to parse through large amounts of information in order to create simplified and clear designs;
- Proven ability to communicate complex, abstract concepts using both visual and written language;
- Familiarity with graphic design fundamentals, including branding work;
- Data journalism experience is an asset.
- Language Requirements: Excellent command of English.
- Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals;
- Generates innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations;
- Demonstrates substantive and technical knowledge to meet responsibilities and post requirements with excellence;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
- Communication Skills:
- Excellent communication skills;
- Produces timely, quality outputs.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Development Programme, UNDP, in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 5th August 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline