Organization: National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Registration Officer – General
The National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA) was established on the passing of the Uganda Registration of Persons Act, 2015. The Act was made to harmonise and consolidate the law on registration of persons; to provide for registration of individuals and to establish a national identification register. It provides for the mandatory registration of all Ugandan citizens within Uganda and abroad as well as aliens identification cards and for related matters.
Job Summary: The Registration Officer – General will register births and deaths of persons in accordance with civil registration regulations and legal requirements and register clients for the purposes of obtaining National Identity Cards in accordance with established laws, policies and regulations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the manual recording and electronic data capture in to the registration data bank / register and process quality assurance
- The incumbent also registers births and deaths, prepares correspondences, search reports and verification and certification of registration documents / certificates
- Implements the civil registrations regulations and ensures compliance with the legal requirements by all applicants for birth and death certificates
- Ensures the appropriateness of assessments and collection of non tax revenue accruing from civil registrations
- Carries out public awareness campaigns and information dissemination on the legal requirement, obligation and benefits of registration
- Implements and supervises the enrollment, registration operations for citizens and non citizens, residents in the country and issuance of national identity cards
- Manages and ensures appropriate use of electronic registration equipment (biometric systems) for verification and identification of physical characteristics of enrolled and registered persons
- Manages the deployment of biometric systems, ensuring performance standards within the operating environment in order produce appropriate person registers
- Ensures that the registration data is embedded in the biometric system appropriately interfaces with the main database at the ICT centre
- Determines realistic threats to registration data embedded in the biometric system in collaboration with stakeholders and agencies responsible for risk mitigation
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned from time to time by the Senior Registration Officer-General
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA) Registration Officer – General job vacancy should hold a Bachelor’s Degree with Honors in Law with a post graduate Diploma in Legal practice or degree in Social Sciences or other related field from a recognized University
- Broad knowledge in usage of Biometric features in Identification will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of three (3) years relevant work experience in a reputable public or private organization
- Computer literacy skills i.e. proficiency in software applications
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested persons should send their applications, curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates/ testimonials to the National Director, Profiles International Uganda Limited (PIUL), Plot 26B Tufnell Drive, Kamwokya, Kampala, P.O. Box 3024, Kampala or hand deliver the application at its offices indicated above from 8.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Please indicate a daytime telephone contact and names and contact details of three professional referees. Also, in your application letter and on the cover of the envelope, clearly indicate which position you are applying for.
Deadline: 24th August, 2016
NB: If you do not hear from NIRA within two months from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing or lobbying will lead to disqualification.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline