Job Title: Airworthiness Inspector - Avionics
Organization: Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Job Ref: CAA/ADV/EXT/06/2016
Reports to: Principal Airworthiness Inspector Avionics
Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) is a corporate body responsible for the regulation of Civil Aviation in Uganda. It manages Entebbe International Airport and 13 other aerodromes upcountry. CAA carries out its work in conformity with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPS). The Authority now plans to recruit suitably qualified Ugandans of impeccable integrity and commitment to fill the following positions in its establishment.
Job Summary: The Airworthiness Inspector – Avionics will set examinations and carry out surveys for avionics engineers/technicians and aircraft maintenance organization, respectively for the purpose of licensing them in accordance with ICAO and manufacturer’s standards in order to achieve the highest level of aircraft airworthiness and safety.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures safety of aircraft and passengers by monitoring aircraft airworthiness in areas of radio communication, navigation systems and tools, electronics and autopilot.
- Ensures that aircrafts using Uganda air are airworthy by having sound electronics system which meets specification of the manufacturer, and those of ICAO.
- Prepares certificates of airworthiness and associated flight manuals.
- The incumbent prepares AMEL examination papers, revises the existing papers as necessary and conducts complementary oral examinations where required.
- Issues, extends and renews aircraft maintenance engineers’ licenses and certificates of Airworthiness.
- Investigates and reports on aircraft accidents submitted by operators and prepares schedules for private aircraft.
- The incumbent coordinates with flight operation section in AOC certification process of new and existing operators.
- Enforces regulations by authority of relevant regulatory provisions.
- Carries out critical surveys of maintenance organizations in so far as the inspection and airworthiness of aircrafts concerned.
- Build and maintains close liaison with Quality Manager of approved firms regarding matters of airworthiness of aircraft and inspection staff approval.
- Provides advice when needed to the engineering staff of maintenance organizations and to owners of private aircraft.
- Processes applications for renewal of certificates of airworthiness.
- Inspects, periodically, aircraft maintained on a continuous overhaul basis.
- Issues permits to fly pending renewal of certificates
- The incumbent examines and reports upon local modifications preparatory to final approval.
- Investigates defects in airborne equipment and prepares defect report.
- Scrutinizes the work of individual licensed aircraft maintenance engineers and approved persons with particular reference to their inspection ability.
- Issues approvals to persons to work on aircraft and for certification in terms of the Regulations.
- Supervises the weighing of aircraft and approved weight schedules.
- Inspects periodically all companies’ refuelling equipment for serviceability and checks for contamination of fuel.
- Examines annual log books of private aircraft relating to the work required in terms of approved maintenance schedules and renews certificates of airworthiness,
- Approval of carriage of dangerous Goods by Air.
- Performs any other lawful duties as allocated by the immediate Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Airworthiness Inspector - Avionics job opportunity should hold an honours Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Aeronautical Engineering and Aircraft Maintenance Engineer’s License in ‘‘A" & “C", "X" and “R”
- At least four years’ experience in aircraft maintenance facility preferable in quality assurance and inspection
- Broad process aeronautical knowledge in areas that apply to aeroplane and helicopter aircraft categories.
- Acquired skill as a pilot or aircraft maintenance engineer or air traffic controller or aviation qualification other than the above.
- Age: Between 28 to 40 years
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who desire to join the aviation industry should send their hand-written applications with detailed CV and copies of academic certificates plus transcripts with the Job reference number clearly marked at the top left hand corner of the envelope should be sent to the address below. Please indicate your (day time) phone contact.
The Director, Human Resource and Administration,
Civil Aviation Authority (Head Office),
P.O. BOX 5536, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 26th August 2016 by 5:00 PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline