Job Title: Senior Accountant
Organisation: East African Community
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Reports to: Principal Accountant
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania. The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
Job Summary: The Senior Accountant will administer and manage all financial aspects of the Secretariat including preparation and control of the budget, documentation of all receipts and payments, assets and liabilities and safe custody of security documents; and preparation of financial statements and reports.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Senior Accountant will exercise overall supervision of the work of the Accounts Section of the Secretariat, and provide advice where divisions from Financial Rules and Regulations and best practices occur.
- In charge of the maintenance of proper accounting records of the Secretariat and review and submit monthly and quarterly reports, including analysis of accounts to ensure that decision makers receive timely and accurate information;
- Keenly analyse and monitor status of obligations and expenditure. Ensure that payments are disbursed in accordance with certified documents establishing the obligation; Check payment vouchers, journals and petty cash vouchers in terms of arithmetical accuracy and also ensure that they have supporting documents like invoices, LPO, delivery notes, and GRN;
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation statements of all the bank accounts of the Secretariat;
- Reconcile ledger accounts like inter current accounts, creditors, staff and housing advances, travel imprest, and follow up on outstanding imprest and pass necessary journals;
- Regularly check records in the stores ledger data base to ensure that receipts and issues of consumables are properly entered;
- Manage postings into the ledger and extraction of trial balance and preparation of monthly accounts;
- Check monthly payroll of all the staff of the Secretariat and ensure that all deductions in terms of outstanding imprest, staff advances and loans are effected;
- Maintain appropriate ledgers and subsidiary ledgers. Verify and control data Journal entries, posting to the general ledger;
- Prepare the semi-annual and the year end Financial Statements for the Secretariat, for the purpose of audit.
- Prepare monthly payrolls and ensure accuracy and timely distribution of cheques; and
- Identify training needs for Accountants as well as Accounts Assistants of the Secretariat and prepare training programs based on the needs.
- Negotiate favourable bank commission rates and fixed deposit interest rates and recommend reputable banks where the Secretariat’s accounts may be maintained;
- Actively facilitate the audit of financial statement and provide advice, financial interpretation, adaptation and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to EAC Financial Rules and Regulations; implement the audit recommendations and directives of the Council and Assembly in this regard.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the East African Community Senior Accountant job placement must hold a Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or an equivalent degree from a recognised University/Institution; plus professional accounting qualifications like ACCA, CPA, CFA or equivalent.
- At least eight (8) years relevant experience, of which three (3) years at senior level.
- Skills and Competencies: Analytical skills, administrative skills, organization skills, communication skills, decision-making skills, result oriented, computer skills.
- Knowledge of Sun System and Budget Management System application, Vision Excel and Vision Executive will be an added advantage
- Age: Below 55 years
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three (3) referees, and a copy of National Identity Card, Birth Certificate or Passport showing the date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and the envelope. For electronic submissions, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and forward to the address given below.
- Please submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional certificates; or fail to provide three referees shall be disqualified.
All invitations for interviews shall be done in writing to:
Executive Selection Division,
Deloitte Consulting Limited,
10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue:
P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Fax +255(22) 2116379
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Monday, 15th August 2016, 17:00Hrs.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline