Job Title: Research Assistant
Organisation: International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Coordinator
International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) is a non-profit organization that works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia. The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animal’s alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases.
About EADD Project:
The East Africa Dairy Development project is a regional industry development program led by Heifer International in partnership with ILRI, TechnoServe, the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) and the African Breeders Service Total Cattle Management. The project is being implemented in Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda. In its first five years from 2008, EADD provided extensive training on dairy husbandry, business practices and operation, and marketing of dairy products to the 179,000 farming families in the program. Heifer and its partners also developed 27 milk collection hubs, strengthened 10 existing hubs, and formed 68 farmer business associations to manage the plants. Since then, EADD has grown to be one of the leading market-oriented development initiatives in eastern Africa. Building on the success and lessons learned in Phase I, the vision for EADD II is to provide an additional 136,000 smallholder farm families the opportunities to create financial independence and social equality.
Job Summary: The Research Assistant will provide effective technical support for the EADD project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical backstopping (including survey design, data collection, data cleaning and analysis) in the implementation of surveys and other data collection exercises in the EADD sites, as per the EADD Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation (MLE) framework;
- Keenly analyse MLE data and present the results to EADD consortium partners and other stakeholders;
- Serve as the ILRI focal contact person in the EADD country office.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Master’s degree in agricultural economics, statistics or related field.
- A minimum of five years’ experience including experience working with producer organisation and/or other value chain actors in a Research and Development projects.
- Good knowledge of the livestock sector - particularly dairy- in Uganda.
- Previous exposure and experience with statistical packages such as SPSS, Stata or R. Excellent data management and analysis skills.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite packages, as well as ability to develop databases and prepare required documentation from them.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, which will be key to facilitate stakeholder workshops and training programs for all actors of the value chain, as well as to participate and contribute effectively in a multicultural, multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent analytical and synthesizing skills; ability to write clear and concise scientific documents.
- Highly effective multi-tasking skills, with ability to coordinate, prioritize, and organize workload, meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Considerable judgment and initiative and the ability to work with a high degree of independence within assigned areas.
- Fluency in oral and written English, and ability to communicate in Luganda.
- Willingness to travel frequently.
- Motor cycle/light vehicles driving permit.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online by clicking on the link below.
Deadline: 13th July, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline