Job Title: Manager Legal and Advisory Services
Organization: National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Board Secretary/Director Legal
The National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA) was established on the passing of the Uganda Registration of Persons Act, 2015. The Act was made to harmonise and consolidate the law on registration of persons; to provide for registration of individuals and to establish a national identification register. It provides for the mandatory registration of all Ugandan citizens within Uganda and abroad as well as aliens identification cards and for related matters.
Job Summary: The Manager Legal and Advisory Services will ideally provide legal advice and guidance to the work of NIRA and ensure sound legal standing of its operations
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts the review of rules, regulations and procedures applicable to the NIRA, which may be affected by new legislations, policy changes and developments in the administration of justice.
- Ensures registration of legal documents with the relevant authorities.
- Prepares demand notices to defaulting debtors.
- Represents the Authority in court proceedings.
- Prepares pleadings and other court documents.
- Keenly reviews and or prepares contractual documents made with third parties and ensure that NIRA’s interests are taken care of
- The incumbent provides legal advice to NIRA and its clients on compliance with all legal requirements pertaining to the NIRA’s operations.
- Represents the interests of the NIRA in the courts of law and other where necessary.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Board Secretary/Director Legal
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA) Manager Legal and Advisory Services job vacancy should hold a Bachelor’s Degree with Honours in Law with a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from a recognised institution
- Membership of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators and/or a Master’s degree in law or a related field is an added advantage.
- A minimum of seven years of relevant working experience, three of which must have been at management level in a reputable public or private organisation.
- The applicant must also be enrolled as an advocate.
- Ability to effectively prioritise and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment to drive results.
- Knowledge of relevant statutory and regulatory requirements.
- High degree of flexibility to react effectively to unforeseen circumstances
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent analytical and negotiation skills
- Ability to lead and motivate co-workers
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- Good IT literacy and computer skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested persons should send their applications, curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates/ testimonials to the National Director, Profiles International Uganda Limited (PIUL), Plot 26B Tufnell Drive, Kamwokya, Kampala, P.O. Box 3024, Kampala or hand deliver the application at its offices indicated above from 8.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Please indicate a daytime telephone contact and names and contact details of three professional referees. Also, in your application letter and on the cover of the envelope, clearly indicate which position you are applying for.
Deadline: 20th July, 2016
NB: If you do not hear from NIRA within two months from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing or lobbying will lead to disqualification.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline