Organization: Refugee Law Project (RLP)
Duty Station: Nakivale and Kyangwali Refugee Settlement, Uganda
Reports to: Field Office Coordinator, Access to Justice
The Refugee Law Project (RLP) is an outreach project of the School of Law, Makerere University. Our Mission is to empower asylum seekers, refugees, deportees, IDPs and host communities to enjoy their human rights and lead dignified lives. Refugee Law Project’s work is currently structured in five thematic areas: Access to Justice; Conflict, Transitional Justice & Governance (CTJ&G), Gender & Sexuality; Mental Health & Psychosocial Wellbeing; and Media for Social Change.
Job Summary: The Community Counselor will provide counselling support to the counseling team through community mobilization, preparation for sessions, follow-up support to clients and provision of routine feedback on the progress of the supported clients.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The community support to counselor before, during and after sessions with Individuals, couples, families and groups of refugees, asylum seekers and other forced migrants in different settings like the office, homes, schools, hospitals, prisons and the community for their psychosocial and mental health wellbeing;
- Prepare and submit reports on clients handled; support in carrying out Information sessions with different groups and communities of refugees, asylum seekers and the host community for purposes of passing on relevant and pertinent information as regards the program;
- Keep proper records for all the clients handled;
- Conduct assessment and referral of clients with in the program; offer Psychosocial education
- Support in training and capacity building for clients, stakeholders as well as organization staff;
- Record and update client testimonies from time to time;
- Prepare activity reports and carryout community dialogues and other strategies for peace promotion and conflict resolution among refugees, asylum seekers, other forced migrants and the host community.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Refugee Law Project (RLP) Community Counselor job placement should hold a Diploma in Social Work, Community Psychology.
- Significant exposure and experience in counseling and in the management of a similar programme.
- Prior community mobilisation and counseling experience
- Fluency in Kiswahili and/or any other language spoken in refugee communities will be an added advantage
How to Apply:
If you meet the above requirements and are interested, we encourage you to address motivation letter and updated CV to the Human Resources Manager via E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position applied for in the subject line of the email. Copies of certificates should not be attached, but will be requested for from short-listed candidates only.
Deadline: Friday 29th July 2016 by 5.00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline