Job Title: Transport Manager
Organisation: People Performance Group (PPG)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Operations Manager
People Performance Group is a leading human resource consultancy firm which provides expert advice in outsourcing and manpower services, facility and fleet management, recruitment processes, salary surveys, payroll services and staff development e.g. in team building, training, board assessment, performance management and other Human resource procedures. They would like to recruit for a valuable client.
Job Summary: The Transport Manager will lead the owned transportation fleet operations to ensure maximum truck turn around. The incumbent will manage to ensure the optimal use of the fleet in a sustainable and profitable manner.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Manage the team (N-1)
- Inform N-1 of the company strategy/ evolutions and communicate on required alignments.
- Set goals in terms of quality & delivery of service.
- Regularly assess the performance of N-1.
- Develop & maintain the competencies of the team.
- Ensure a smooth transfer of roles when there is change of N-1.
- Ensure induction program for newcomers is done appropriately.
- Manage leave for entire team by ensuring respect for the leave roaster.
- In conjunction with HR, manage recruitments (after validation by the Operations Manager) and interview/select potential staff.
- Manage the operational relationship with the client
- Receive the instructions from the clients (internal or external) on cargo delivery or collection
- In case of new business (new or existing client), a new quotation will be issued by Sales department in accordance with Operations Manager / DILS.
- Inform the client (internal or external) of delivery/collection status.
- Request additional instructions if information provided unclear.
- Alert the client in case of operational issue (potential or real).
- Provide support to credit control in case of cash collection issues arising.
- Manage the deliveries and container collection.
- Based on received cargo delivery/ collection requests, prepare/validate the operations planning and inform COMs and FOPs.
- Track the fleet (GPS system) and ensure optimization of the mobilized means
- Organize and control the documentation transmission: delivery proof (POD, RCN) to COM units and interchange to Colog Manager.
Monitor the quality of service:
- Organize the quality of service monitoring and ensure a proper follow-up (KPI: number of trips, number of containers delivered in time, number of trips/available truck...)
- Work closely with QHSE for audit recommended actions implementation
Control the costs:
- Analyse and focus on staff costs: casuals, extra-work, driver’s allowances, perdiems, visa costs…
- Monitor and challenge Workshop costs: gasoil, tyres…
- Implement any option that would allow decreasing costs (training for driver, road selection…)
- Minimize downtime by negotiating strict servicing time limits and priority repair schedules with the workshop to ensure that trucks are available for the maximum period to earn revenue and maintain customer delivery schedules.
- Report any operational issues (including cargo) to COMs/ FOPs in charge.
- Request instructions in case of arbitrations to be rendered between cargo deliveries
- Alert N+1 in case of significant operational issue (impact on quality of service, invoicing, sensitive client...)
- Inform N+1 and Sales department of all quotation non-compliant with COM goals (gross margin, turnover, feasibility...)
- Identify & work on the issues raised during the file processing whatever in the responsibility scope or not.
- Receive work orders from internal departments and generate the JMP accordingly.
- Be available to travel to accident scenes as and when they happen.
- To travel to do route surveys as and when required.
- To have and manage a relationship with government agencies i.e. Traffic Police – for all traffic related cases, UNRA for all weighbridge issues and Face Technology – for drivers driving licences.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a minimum of ten years’ experience in transport
- Five years’ experience as a manager
- Computer literacy i.e. working knowledge of Microsoft Office and email
- Excellent communication skills
- Business software functions (Gespar) & reports
- Financial reports: Detailed costs of the Transport business unit (monthly)
- Standard Operating Procedures
- HR support tools and documents
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated CVs and cover letters to the address below. Attachments must not fill more than 2 MB.
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: 30th June, 2016 by 5.00 p.m.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline