Job Title: Principal Legal Officer - Law Reform
Organization: Uganda Law Reform Commission
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Assistant Commissioner
The Uganda Law Reform Commission is established under Article 248(1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda. Its primary mandate is to study and keep under constant review the Acts and all other laws comprising the laws of Uganda with a view to making recommendations for their systematic improvement, development, modernisation and reform.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of identifying statutes for review and reform and new areas requiring legislation.
- Preparing proposals for law reforms.
- Carrying out effective and efficient research for law reform.
- In charge of preparing proposals for and undertaking simplification of laws.
- Preparing information and education materials and providing legal education to stakeholders.
- Performing any other duties that may be assigned to him/her by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Principal Legal Officer - Law Reform job placement should be a Ugandan who holds an honours degree in law from a recognized university and a diploma in legal practice from Law Development Centre;
- At least six years of relevant working experience, three of which should be at the level of senior legal officer or its equivalent in government or a reputable organization;
- Working knowledge in basic computer applications.
- Possession of a relevant Master’s degree or postgraduate training will be an added advantage;
- Previous research experience is desirable.
- Previous experience in project planning and management are desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to handle a multi-disciplinary team.
- Age: 28 years and above
How to Apply:
All qualified Ugandans should send their applications with fully certified photocopies of their testimonials and an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV), recent passport size photographs filled in triplicate to:
The Commission Secretary,
Uganda Law Reform Commission,
8th floor, Workers’ House,
P.O. Box 12149, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 13th June 2016 by 5.00pm
NB: Serving Government officers are encouraged to route applications through their Supervisors and Heads of Department.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline