Job Title: Senior Research and Advocacy Officer (SRAO)
Organization: Refugee Law Project (RLP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Programme Manager, Conflict, Transitional Justice and Governance
The Refugee Law Project (RLP) is an outreach project of the School of Law, Makerere University. Our Mission is to empower asylum seekers, refugees, deportees, IDPs and host communities to enjoy their human rights and lead dignified lives. Refugee Law Project’s work is currently structured in five thematic areas: Access to Justice; Conflict, Transitional Justice & Governance (CTJ&G), Gender & Sexuality; Mental Health & Psychosocial Wellbeing; and Media for Social Change.
Job Summary: The Senior Research and Advocacy Officer will primarily design and implement research initiatives in furtherance of the Conflict, Transitional Justice and Governance overall strategic objectives and conduct evidence-based advocacy with target stakeholders, develop and further disseminate knowledge on how integrating conflict analysis improves peacebuilding outcomes and democratic governance, and assist in mainstreaming Transitional Justice (TJ) in conflict and post conflict development and governance contexts.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Conduct research and advocacy to influence policies and practices of governments, IGOs, NGOs and other stakeholders:
- The incumbent will design and coordinate/conduct policy-relevant research on how integrating TJ improves peacebuilding outcomes and develop innovative approaches to conceptualising TJ in post conflict recovery.
- The jobholder will also design and coordinate/conduct policy-relevant research on other aspects of peacebuilding, as agreed with the CTJ&G team, and with a likely focus on post conflict development issues;
- Write research reports designed to influence the policy and practice of peace and development actors and of others with an influence on the prospects for peace and post conflict development;
- Implement evidence based advocacy using the results of the research, through report dissemination, one-to-one meetings, training, attendance at relevant meetings, etc.;
- Develop and maintain relations with key stakeholders and interlocutors in order to build networks through which to learn and to share advocacy messages.
2. Contribute to strategies, approaches and projects to address sustainability of the programme:
- Actively engage with programme teams in field offices and other colleagues to help them integrate TJ in their research, in project designs and project plans as necessary;
- Work in liaison with the Programme Manager, Grants Officer and Fundraising Team to contribute to the production of concept notes and project proposals;
- Work with the Programme Manager in developing, piloting and implementing context-based peace and conflict research and analysis methodologies which can be implemented for internal and external stakeholders;
- Build and maintain relations with donors and work with colleagues to raise funds for research and advocacy initiatives.
3. Project Implementation and Management:
- Maintain project implementation plans, including Performance Monitoring Frameworks, as agreed;
- Ensure and implement monitoring and evaluation plan for each project;
- Prepare results-based project reports for internal and external purposes as agreed;
- Actively participate in Programme and/or project M&E as agreed;
4. Organisational level support:
- Actively contribute to the development of research strand and the co-ordination of RLP’s research activities through engaging with internal and external stakeholders;
- Support RLP colleagues on methodological issues during research project designs and conduct of research;
- Work closely with the Media for Social Change and other relevant Programmes and Units on the development of advocacy and outreach materials to promote research results.
- Contribute to team-wide communications and knowledge management, and participate in organisation-wide events and discussions on related topics/projects.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Senior Research and Advocacy Officer career opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field: (Social sciences/Law/Arts/Development studies/International Development).
- Possession of a Post graduate level qualification in any the above fields and specific training in programme and project management could be an added advantage.
- At least five years of active Research and Advocacy engagement in same or similar context
- Proven competence in empirical research, data analysis and in writing evidence-based reports and advocacy materials with practical and targeted recommendations
- Previous experience in conflict analysis, and a clear understanding of Transitional Justice in relation to peacebuilding and post conflict environments.
- Practical and theoretical understanding of peace and conflict, including how gender is integrated into conflict, peacebuilding and post conflict recovery
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Excellent oral presentation, communication and networking skills and inter-personal ability
- Working knowledge of the mode of operation of policy-making as the IGAD, EAC, UN, EU and Government (Local and National) etc
- Proven ability to learn quickly and work well under pressure, both independently and as a member of a team.
- Willingness and ability to frequently travel within Uganda and abroad.
- Willingness to work beyond ordinary hours of work and in situations that require quick response.
- Good team player, comfortable in multi-cultural settings, committed to anti-discriminatory policy and practice
How to Apply:
If you meet the above requirements and are interested, we encourage you to address your letter of motivation to the Human Resources Manager and attach your CV and any work samples (published reports, web links etc.) and send by e-mail to email@example.com. Please put “Application for Senior Research and Advocacy Officer” in the subject line of your email.
Deadline: 20th May, 2016 by 6.00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline