Job Title: Assistant Facilities Engineer
Organisation: Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Facilities Engineer
The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is an international non-profit organization which is a partnership of infectious diseases and public health specialists. The overall objective of the IDI is to strengthen health systems with strong emphasis on Infectious Diseases, through Research and Capacity Development. IDI has five operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research and Laboratory services (provided through a partnership with the Makerere University - John Hopkins University Core Lab) and Outreach.
Job Summary: The Assistant Facilities Engineer will establish and maintain standards of excellence for facility maintenance and modification of Infectious Diseases Institute facilities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct routine, inspection of (Plant, Machinery and Equipment) in IDI buildings/Offices to assess repair requirements.
- Actively monitor and ensure that all scheduled Maintenance, Service and repair of Office equipment, building installations and plants is carried out on time.
- Operate and maintain upcountry site offices and ensure they are fully functional to support the operations of the Organisation, including ensuring the buildings are maintained to the highest possible standards at all times.
- The incumbent will address maintenance issues from tenants and staff.
- Prepare terms of references, scope of work required, Bills of quantities and cost estimates for maintenance and repair works or services.
- Ensure works are completed to the set standards and with set quality of Materials
- Prepare monthly preventive maintenance schedules, ensure records are maintained for all works done, and prepare progress reports for maintenance work done for review by the Facilities Engineer and advise the supervisor of the equipment and maintenance supply needs.
- Reconcile utility bills for IDI Facilities/Buildings.
- Conduct pre and post repair/maintenance inspection/ verification of maintenance works.
- Actively participate in engaging and supervising contractors - ensuring that they work up to the expected standard and within the time and cost limits.
- Where required, works closely with out sourced property managers to coordinate repair and maintenance requirements and assess works done.
- Provide technical work guidance to contractor and/or property agent technician during repair works.
- Work closely with Landlords to carry-out renovations, Maintenance and repair works needed at rented premises.
- Equipment maintenance support for Generators, fire extinguishers and air conditioners.
- Receive and assess reports of maintenance and repair needs from rented offices buildings and address maintenance issues from staff as well as providing estimates and works supervision to set standards.
- Actively participate in planning, budgeting and reporting in line with departmental guidelines and targets
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold an Honors Degree in either Civil, Electrical Engineering or in Building Management.
- A minimum of three years’ experience with a variety of building and infrastructure systems and equipment, maintenance and repair
- Working knowledge and experience in design using Computer Aided Software (CAD) will be an added advantage
- Previous exposure and experience in managing /supervising contractors.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize Character
- Excellent communication skills - both verbal and written; including ability to negotiate with potential contractors/ service providers
- High level of integrity
- Excellent interpersonal skills particularly Staff/Management relations
- Working knowledge of maintenance trade procedures, equipment, tools and supplies commonly used to support the installation, maintenance and repair of building, tools and equipment
- Working knowledge of safety procedures and terminology.
- Skills in assessing conditions and standard of building, tools, equipment and completed work
- Skills in letting, managing and troubleshooting with contractors and maintenance service contracts
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and standards in health and safety practices
- Knowledge of principles and practices of general building construction and renovation.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their application cover letters with a detailed CV, naming at least two professional referees to:
The Human Resources Manager,
Infectious Diseases Institute,
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Deadline: 18th May, 2016 by 5:00 PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline