Job Title: Transit Coordinator
Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Program Manager
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Job Summary: The Transit Coordinator’s primary objective is to ensure effective and efficient management of the Nyumanzi transit center. This covers the overall implementation of the DRC’s Transit Coordination and Management activities; which specifically includes direct implementation of effective coordination and information sharing between all actors (DRC, OPM, UNHCR, and other NGOs) present in the transit center, ensuring general cleanliness of the center, and maintenance of the facilities, regular and timely provision of hot meals, and ensure constant supply of water for consumption and personal hygiene purposes among others.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Project Delivery:
- Responsible for the overall day to day management of DRC’s activities within Nyumanzi transit center. This relates to receiving and accommodating newly arrived refugees, sensitizing them on the transit’s rules and regulations, ensuring minimum standards are maintain in all basic services and facilities.
- Maintain cleanliness of the transit center by closely following up with URDMC cleaners to ensure facilities including latrines and bath shelters are clean at least 3 times daily; and sufficient hygiene awareness is carry out among residents.
- Carry out robust information dissemination strategy using appropriate languages to ensure all transit residents are sensitized on the rules and regulations, good Hygiene practices among others.
- Maintain constant supply of water for use by transit residents by ensuring the functionality of the motorized system for pumping of water in the reservoirs during day and night.
- Ensure timely preparation and serving of hot meals (3 times daily),
- Ensure that DRC reporting and feedback/complaint mechanism is in place and enable transit residents to raise concerns on relief and transit activities.
- Oversee coordination among actors in the transit by taking a leadership role in existing coordination mechanisms and enhancing the structure where necessary.
- Work in liaison with OPM police desk in collaboration with other actors including, OPM assistant Commandant, UNHCR protection focal person, Save the Children, MTI, LWF, URDMC, WFP and WVI; and the refugee community to ensure the security and safety of refugees and the transit is maintained. This means informing the DRC Area Manager of any potential security related issues such as tensions among the population or problems with the local communities.
- Support information gathering and sharing by regularly updating the 5Ws matrix
- Ensure minimum quantity of maintenance materials and necessary tools are available for use in work needing emergency action.
- Support the relocation process by ensuring that enough quantities of shelter poles are available in stock for distribution by the assistant center supervisor of relocation.
- Manage/support any community services, youth activities, protection support and similar humanitarian programmes that may be undertaken in Nyumanzi transit.
- Work closely with the WASH and Protection Coordinators in the delivery of thematic activities to ensure that national and international WASH and Protection minimum standards and principles are maintained.
- On daily basis, line manage DRC staff working on transit management. And supervise the activities of URDMC (DRC local partner) which include hot meal preparation and servings, center facilities cleaning.
- Ensure the security guards maintain accurate records of all visitors to the transit by recording their names, agency, and vehicle number, purpose of visit, time and date of visit.
- The jobholder will recruit casual workers as necessary to support implementation of transit activities including general maintenance and sanitation works. .
- Ensure that international standards are being met in the transit and that all actors are accountable to the refugee population.
- Carry out regular inspection of all facilities including overnight shelters, water taps, latrines and bath shelters among others; and ensure timely maintenance of all defects is done by supporting the Maintenance team
- Attend to all delegations and donor missions visiting the transit by welcoming, touring and providing them an overview of activities being carry out by various actors in the transit center.
- Represent DRC in Transit coordination meetings
- Coordinate and maintain constructive relationships with OPM Adjumani desk, the administration of Adjumani local government and Dzaipi Sub-county, UNHCR, and other international organizations and INGOs (MTI, Save the Children, LWF, and WVI), and local NGO partner (URDMC) in coordination with the other team members;
- Ensure DRC’s principles and approaches to emergencies are integrated into the response.
- Follow the humanitarian principles, standards and guidelines that DRC is committed to, and ensure these are adhered to by DRC staff, partner staff and volunteers
3. Monitoring and Evaluation and Reporting:
- Ensure transparency and accountability tools, processes and mechanisms to affected communities are in place
- Ensure that, through good coordination, all gaps in the assistance and protection of refugees are identified and addressed, whilst ensuring that duplication of activities is avoided;
- Regularly monitor project activities and provide timely inputs and feedback to the Area Manager (AM) and Head of Programmes (HoP)
- Prepare monthly activities plans, cash forecast, and activities reports for submission to Area Manager.
- Prepare weekly transit factsheets encompassing number of refugees accommodated, number relocated and current balance residing in the transit.
4. Staff Supervision:
- Provide management and overall supervision to DRC’s Transit/Reception centers team, including those in Maaji 3.
- Identify staff training needs as and when appropriate;
- Work cross departmentally to ensure project staff and activities comply with DRC policy and procedures
- Carry out regular visits to Maaji in order to support staff and monitor implementation of the response.
- Conduct duties in accordance with various approved SOPs including that of relocation and referrals
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Code of Conduct
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Transit Coordinator job placement must hold a diploma or University degree in any of the social sciences or relevant fields
- At least five years’ experience working with vulnerable communities, basic needs and distribution programming experience, and/or advocacy programs.
- Significant experience operating in a refugee camp environment, preferably undertaking Camp Management and/or Camp Coordination activities.
- Previous experience of managing and supervising staff.
- Experience of protection and public health issues.
- Experience of working with UN or Non-Governmental organizations.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to conduct training and awareness.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
- Good computer skills.
- Excellent organizational and people management skills.
- Fluency in Arabic is essential, while knowledge of Dinka and Maadi is desirable.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications including;
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and please indicate your salary expectations
- Updated and detailed -The CV should include information about your qualifications, relevant training courses, work experience, and name and contact details of three relevant references.
The complete application package should be uploaded online, Click Here
Deadline: 21st April 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline