Job Title: Senior Data Manager
Organization: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Research Manager
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization. Based in New Haven, CT, with offices in New York, NY, Washington, D.C. and worldwide, IPA works with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches to solving development problems, to communicate “what works” in development and to scale up successful projects in a variety of fields, including health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture. IPA designs, rigorously evaluates, and refines these solutions and their applications together with decision-makers to ensure that the evidence created is used to improve opportunities for the world’s poor. Since our founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 350 leading academics to conduct over 450 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Job Summary: The Senior Data Manager coordinates their activities with the Researcher Manager in order to maintain and improve IPA’s quality protocols for rigorous survey-based data collection in Uganda. The incumbent also helps drive data-centered innovations in analysis and visualization of research findings.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Co-lead the electronic programming of surveys in Excel, using Open Data Kit (ODK)/SurveyCTO.
- Render support to improve, standardize and automate IPA’s data flow and data quality tools, using STATA and Python programming.
- Offer timely support in the aggregation, cleaning, analysis and visualization of survey-based geospatial metadata, using QGIS or ArcGIS.
- Mentor and train IPA staff in the use of data collection software.
- Assist with programming work during field activities as is necessary, based on project needs. This may include travel to and work from the project side.
- Work closely with software (i.e., ODK/SurveyCTO) developers and other users to develop new programming methods.
- Consult and assist computer users to define and resolve problems in running computer programs.
- Fill in as needed on any other tasks, such as data entry and cleaning.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) Senior Data Manager vacancy should hold a Bachelor’s degrees in Computer Science, Information Technology, Statistics, Mathematics or equivalent.
- A minimum of three years’ work experience in a similar position, preferably with an International NGO or UN Agency, with demonstrated experience in data management or working with large datasets.
- Strong proficiency in Excel (advanced functions, pivot tables, macros) for survey programming.
- Previous exposure and experience using STATA required (advanced functions, programming experience a plus).
- Previous experience in geospatial data visualization using QGIS or Arc GIS is an added advantage.
- Previous experience with a scripting language such as Python a plus.
- Keen attention to detail and highly organized.
- Able to manage multiple projects at once, with strong multi-tasking and time-management skills.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send an updated CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Attachments: Please attach your resume and cover letter.
In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line: Senior Data Manager
Deadline: 29th April, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline