Job Title: ICT Strategy Intern
Organisation: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Uganda
Mercy Corps is a leading global relief and development agency saving and improving lives in the world’s toughest places. In more than 40 countries, we partner with local people to put bold ideas into action, help them overcome adversity and build stronger communities. We help communities survive and move beyond emergencies. When natural disasters strike, economies collapse or conflict flares, Mercy Corps is there. Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives to grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs. We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions.
Job Summary: The ICT Strategy Intern will support efforts that will lead to the development of a regional strategy for scaling up ICT (information and computing technologies) initiatives across all programs, specifically in financial services access; delivering and gathering information from partners and smallholder farmers, as well as other uses. The intern will be responsible for conducting an assessment, design, set-up a strategy which builds upon the findings of financial access team. Additionally, the intern will play an important role in supporting financial institution partners (SAACO) in expanding mobile banking technology to underserved rural markets. The intern will also be responsible for ensuring that the program team has skills and experience to implement the strategy in the next year, conduct capacity building sessions as needed. If possible, the intern will set up and complete a small pilot testing an ICT initiative.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out a comprehensive assessment of agribusinesses, VSLAs (Village Savings and Loan Associations), mobile money operators and FIs in the Acholi sub-region, potentially nationally, with respect to use of mobile technology.
- Identify programmatic needs and challenges that could be solved through ICT initiatives in the Acholi Sub-region.
- The incumbent will design regional strategy and report around starting and scaling up ICT 4 Development initiatives, conducting pilots as needed (should incorporate findings from points 1 and 2 above).
- If possible, set-up and launch pilot activities which incorporate the use of mobile banking services targeted at smallholder farmers, mobile money operators and VSLAs. Collaborate with FIs and GADC in expanding ICT schemes to underserved rural markets through existing channels, to include output market agents or buying agents.
- Offer support to company partners in designing and launching promotional activities if any, to include advertising to create awareness.
- Trainings for staff, as needed.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should be experienced in business development/management and/or financial services access professional with a degree in business, economics, agricultural financing or related field
- Pursuing a graduate degree in international development or related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiasm, creativity, and a tremendous amount of flexibility and entrepreneurial spirit
- Willingness to work under minimal direction in difficult circumstances
- A sense of humor on par with one’s level of curiosity
Duration of Internship: June 2016 through September 2016
Mercy Corps Internship Benefits: For the duration of this internship assignment, the intern will receive the following:
- Housing in Kitgum, Kampala and other field locations
- Communications (cellphone)
- Reimbursement for 6-month visa
- Transportation between field offices
Intern responsibilities: Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with:
- Travel to/from Uganda,
- Food and all other costs with internship
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested local and international candidates are encouraged to apply online by clicking on the link below.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline