Job Title: Field Officer
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Senior Field Coordinator or Head of Sub-Office/Field Office
Job ID: 12327
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
About UNHCR Projects:
The UNHCR operation in West Nile has been receiving mini-influx from South Sudan since the beginning of January 2016. In January alone, West Nile received over 9,687 refugees at a daily average of 312 new arrivals per day from Elegu and Kuluba boarders. The number of daily new arrivals reduced during the month of March 2016 to about 200. The total number of refugee population in West Nile is now over 166,656 residing in 17 refugee settlements of Adjumani, Arua and Koboko districts. To provide better services to refugees, the operation in West Nile has adopted the Multi-Functional Team approach. The MFTs are field based and undertake daily monitoring in the settlements.
Job Summary: The Field Officer will work very closely with the MFTs which includes protection, community services and technical teams (WASH, Public Health, Environment, Livelihood etc) and will report directly to the Head of Sub Office. The field officer will manage the infrastructure development activities in collaboration with the site planner, IPs and interact with local communities and Government
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The Field Officer will support the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the following;
- Ensure that UNHCR’s operations in the area of responsibility (AoR) are designed to meet the needs of persons of concern.
- Ensure an effective monitoring system of the field operations is in place resulting in better service to the persons of concern.
- Attend to the protection needs of populations of concern are met through the application of International and National Law, relevant UN/UNHCR protection standards and IASC principles governing humanitarian coordination.
- Attend to protection incidents and gaps in assistance are immediately identified and addressed.
- Prepare project proposals; draw up plan of operation for implementation, including institutional arrangements for budgets.
- Assess refugee needs in the various fields of assistance and make recommendations for the establishment of projects, adjustment or discontinuation of existing projects and advise the Head of Office accordingly.
- Closely monitor the implementation of projects under the geographical area of responsibility and ensure the provisions under the agreements signed with the implementing partners are being adhered to.
- Regularly prepare and submit written reports on the implementation of projects and the situation in the sites.
- Build and maintain good working relations with local government officials, implementing partners and other agencies in the area.
- Regularly report immediately on any security problems that may occur affecting programme, beneficiaries and the smooth running of the operation.
- Provide assistance to UNHCR Technical advisers and consultants as well as visitors visiting project sites.
- Represent UNHCR in the Field.
- Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
- Approve expenditures within the DOAP.
- Perform any other relevant duties as required by the Senior Field Coordinator or Head of Sub-Office/Field Office
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Field Officer job opportunity should hold a University degree in Law, Political Sciences or related fields.
- At least eight years of previous relevant work experience (6 years with advanced university degree).
- Field experience.
- Excellent knowledge of English. Knowledge of another UN language, like Arabic would be an asset since most of the refugees speak it;
- Excellent computer skills.
- Working knowledge of refugee law.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR’s programmes.
- Knowledge of UNHCR Protection Learning Programme.
- UNHCR Operations Management Learning Programme.
- Solid UNHCR field experience including Hardship Duty stations is desired ;
- Proven ability to coordinate with other Field/sub- Offices, UN Agencies and Government is desired;
- Excellent negotiation skills;
- Ability to manage and supervise field teams composed of different profile of staff members;
- On-the-job coaching and mentoring of national staff;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to establish relations on local level with various stakeholders including local authorities, NGOs, community volunteers and etc.
- Previous experience in guiding and providing on the job training to staff is desired
- Prior experience in monitoring and implementing UNHCR projects is an added advantage
- Previous experience in conducting needs assessment and monitoring progress against achieved results
- Strive to live up to high ethical and professional standards.
- Accountability -Level 3
- Teamwork & Collaboration -Level 3
- Communication -Level 3
- Commitment to Continuous Learning -Level 3
- Client & Result Orientation -Level 3
- Organizational Awareness -Level 3
- Empowering and Building Trust -Level 3
- Judgement and Decision Making- Level 3
- Managing Performance -Level 3
- Analytical Thinking -Level 3
- Political Awareness - Level 3
- Stakeholder Management - Level 3
How to Apply:
All interested candidates who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
Deadline: 25th April, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline