Job Title: Assistant Project Manager-WASH & FLS
Organisation: Action Against Hunger (ACF)
Duty Station: Uganda
Action Against Hunger (ACF) is an International Humanitarian NGO which has been in existence for over thirty years. ACF has been implementing Food Security and Livelihoods, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene programs in the Lango, Acholi, West Nile and Karamoja regions of Northern Uganda.
Job Summary: The Assistant Project Manager will work closely with the Project Manager to proactively monitor the implementation of nutrition related WASH and food security/ livelihood activities, supervise daily implementation of these activities and their contribution towards achieving desired project objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Technical Support:
- Offer technical support in the integration of nutrition related WASH, Food security & livelihood activities in the routine ACF implemented nutrition specific activities at health facilities and community level.
- Oversee the implementation, scale-up and evaluation of planned vegetable and fruit production activities within the project catchment area.
- Oversee the day to day hygiene promotion activities implemented within the project catchment area.
- Routinely assess and advice on programme coverage, access and performance of project target beneficiaries and any need for expansion.
- Offer technical support in the identification, training, monitor and supervise a team of lead mothers/ demonstration site leaders who will then work with other mothers within their community to scale-up nutrition related WASH and food security/ livelihood activities.
- Actively participate in development of relevant project IEC materials and also ensure that such materials are effectively disseminated to targeted beneficiaries.
- Ensure that project staffs collect quality data, utilize and also timely and accurately report the data.
- Give necessary technical guidance in the procurement of project supplies and equipment and also ensure that procurement and dissemination is timely.
- Support the PM in ensuring effective financial management through proper execution of budget lines and timely cash forecast.
- Work closely with the PM to ensure that the implementation of the project is in accordance with the proposal and agreed detailed implementation plan
- Actively participate in proposal writing
- Regularly provide relevant food security and livelihood technical guidance to teams or stakeholders to address gaps/ challenges to improve nutrition programming in ACF’s areas of operation.
2. Capacity Building:
- Work closely with the PM organise and supervise all project capacity development activities .i.e. trainings for lead mothers/ demonstration site leaders on Agronomy practices & post-harvest handling, VHTs on hygiene promotion activities, DHTs on water quality testing among others.
- Ensure that demonstration site leaders and VHTs cascade knowledge and skills to target beneficiaries.
- Ensure that supervised staffs have necessary capacity development tools and materials.
- Ensure that demonstration site leaders & VHTs hold monthly meetings to share achievements, challenges and solutions.
3. Assessment and Reporting:
- Actively participate in all project review assessments, surveys and studies and ensure these are conducted according to protocol.
- Document and compile reports on project activities including Monthly ACF internal reports (Project Activity Reports (APRs), SITREP) & Quarterly donor reports and activity reports (meetings, community dialogues and drama shows and any other activity).
- Ensure that stakeholders are sensitized on program accountability and have information on beneficiary feedback mechanism.
- Oversee reporting on project progress, success stories and lessons learned during project implementation.
- Carry out trend of food security analyses of the target beneficiaries and give recommendations on how ACF can better position itself.
4. Staff Management & Supervision:
- Deputize the Project manager and always take charge of the programme in the absence of the project manager
- Ensure that staff under your supervision are effectively engaged in their tasks and perform their duties according to ACF expectation.
- Supervise and support staff under your management
- Ensure that staffs under your supervision develop quarterly activity work plans and adhere to them.
- Identify training needs of staff under your supervision and suggest an appropriate training plan
5. Coordination & Representation:
- Mobilize communities and community leaders to participate in ACF project in community activities and organize regular community meetings to address areas for program improvement
- Actively participate in the harmonization of a Nutrition strategy with partners and the District authorities.
- Actively participate in internal and external meetings according to the PM guidance
- Actively participate in events organized in the refugee and host community setting
- Coordinate with other sections of ACF and all other stakeholders in the response
- Attend interagency & sectoral coordination meetings at the Camp and District level.
- Attend donor meetings and field visits as required.
- Perform any other duties as assigned from time to time
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture or related field
- At least three years of related experience.
- Knowledge and skills in agricultural extension services specifically in the area of promotion of vegetable and fruit production.
- Working knowledge and experience in activities linking agriculture with nutrition
- Knowledge on use of groups in promotion of better agricultural practices.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English
- Knowledge of word processor, spreadsheet and software use like ENA, SPSS plus other programs advantageous
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Excellent reporting skills with good oral and written communication skills
- Diplomatic and culturally sensitive
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in the local language is a must (Kiryandongo)
- Possession of a valid riding permit
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications which should include ONLY a cover letter, CV (not more than 4 pages) with at least three referees and a daytime telephone contract. For email applications please note that attached documents should not be larger than 2MBs. All documents should be zipped in one folder. Any email larger than 2MBS will not be considered. Please send your email application to: email@example.com mentioning Assistant Project Manager-WASH & FSL in the subject line.
Deadline: Thursday, 21st April 2016 by 5:00 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline