Job Title: Nutrition Specialist, P-4
Organisation: United Nation’s Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Reports to: Chief, Health and Nutrition (Alive Programme)
Vacancy No: E-VN-2014-000091
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
For 60 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Job Summary: The Nutrition Specialist will be responsible for the overall management, development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of nutrition programme in the context of 'Keeping Children Alive'.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Contributes to the preparation of the Situation Analysis and its periodic update. Prepares nutrition programme inputs to the Country Programme Document (CPD) and all related documents.
- Formulates and develops nutrition programme goals, strategies, methodologies and approaches and implements based on result-based approach within Human Rights framework by broad participation and collaboration with internal and external partnership.
- Reviews and evaluates the technical, institutional and financial feasibility and constraints of nutrition programmes in coordination and collaboration with government and other partners.
- Provides technical support to government and non-government organizations at the national, regional and provincial levels in the planning, development and implementation stages of the health and nutrition programmes.
- Plans, organizes and conducts training and orientation activities for government personnel and beneficiaries, for the purpose of capacity building at the central and regional levels, and expansion of coverage of services.
- Undertakes field visits in order to monitor and evaluate nutrition programme performance/implementation; identifies problems and proposes remedial action; identifies alternative courses of action, to accelerate/improve efficiency of programme delivery.
- Develops the work-plan for the nutrition programme and monitors compliance to ensure objectives and targets are met and achieved.
- Guides and supervises professional and support staff.
- Ensures their training needs are met, and provides on-the-job training.
- Coordinates with Operations/Supply staff on supply and non- supply assistance activities.
- Approves disbursement of funds ensuring proper utilization and accountability, and those activities are within established plans of action, and the programme budget allotments.
- Coordinates activities and exchanges information/ideas with other programmes, to contribute to achievement of overall country programme objectives.
- Participates in establishing effective monitoring, information and reporting systems, and in the development of communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and community participation.
- Participates in the preparation of all programme reports for management, Board, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
- Perform any other job tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- The applicant should possess an advanced university degree in nutrition and specialized training in public health, covering clinical, biochemical and public health aspects. (The Nutrition Specialist may hold a university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.)
- Strong background in Economics and Social Development advantageous.
- At least eight years of relevant work experience at the national and international levels in programme planning, management, monitoring, and evaluation, in the field of 'Keeping Children Alive'.
- Significant experience/familiarity in emergency programmes management experience is an advantage.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN language.
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
- Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
- Analyzes and integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources.
- Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
- Identifies urgent and potentially difficult decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates team- and department-wide activities.
- Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
How to Apply:
If you want to work for the United Nations UNICEF as a nutrition specialist, Please click on web link below to visit and review the requirements and Click “Apply Now.”
Deadline: 28th January, 2014
For More Ugandan Jobs, Please Visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline