Organisation: Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: COE Coordinator
Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA) was established by statutory mandate in 1991 following the liberalization of the coffee industry. The Statute mandates UCDA to: “oversee the coffee industry by supporting research, promoting production, controlling the quality and improving the marketing of coffee in order to optimize foreign exchange earnings for the country and payments to farmers”. UCDA is implementing the Robusta Coffee Centre of Excellence Project with support from aBi Trust. The COE Project is aimed at developing a sustainable coffee value chain through development of technologies, innovations and promotion of best practices along the coffee value chain, exploring best practices in coffee, conducting specific research to provide accurate information, and carrying out demonstration activities with the view of improving household incomes, and creating a coffee culture. The COE will offer recognized expertise and experience to benefit members of the coffee sector, and also demonstrate the best coffee practices.
Job Summary: The Agricultural Research Officers will be responsible for agricultural research with a particular emphasis on productivity, quality improvement technologies and innovations in order to promote and build a culture of excellence among the coffee producers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct applied research on coffee value chain technologies, processing, agronomic practices and post-harvest processing aimed at improving quality and cost of production.
- Develop and promote innovations in agronomy, processing and harvesting and integrate them together with best agricultural practices and best processing practices.
- Conduct trainings, farm demonstrations and sensitizations on coffee quality at the farm.
- Liaise with the Quality assurance Officers and researchers in sample collection at the farms, and organizing of on-farm trials and other demonstrations.
- Assist in the identification of high quality coffee lots and producers in order to achieve good quality certification and ensure traceability.
- Carry out surveillance and give technical guidance on identification, prevention and control of pests and diseases.
- Document research findings and prepare research briefs for consideration by COE Committees, UCDA Management and other stakeholders.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, OR equivalent qualifications.
- A minimum of two years working experience in agricultural research or agronomy.
- Good research skills;
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills;
- Good report writing and communication skills;
- Good training skills;
- Computer literacy skills.
- Readiness to work upcountry.
How to Apply:
If you meet the above requirements, please send your application, curriculum vitae, certified copies of academic transcripts, and telephone contacts and e-mail addresses of three referees to; Principal Human Resource Officer, UCDA Coffee House, Plot 35 Jinja Road, P.O. Box 7267, Kampala, Uganda. E-mail applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 31st December 2013 by 5pm