Job Ref: NEMA/ADV/EXT/05/2013
Organisation: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director, District Support Coordination & Public Education
Salary Scale: E4
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) was established under the National Environment Act Cap. 153 to coordinate, monitor, enforce and supervise all activities in the field of environment for purposes of ensuring sustainable development in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Information, Education and Communications Officer will develop and implement environmental awareness programs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Developing and implementing multimedia environment awareness strategies and activities at national, local governments and community levels;
- Liaising with other Departments of NEMA to prepare including audio-visual materials and exhibitions among others;
- Liaising with relevant Officers in NEMA to identify and clarify on any topical environmental issues to the public through different media;
- Establishing a network of users to enable information exchange among the users and NEMA;
- Initiating translation of Environmental Information into local languages and determining the mode of transmission;
- Assisting local governments to develop and implement environment awareness programs and activities;
- Developing and distributing the NEMA newsletter;
- Reviewing and updating NEMA website;
- Taking lead in organizing World Environment day and other related days;
- Compiling and handling photographic information of key environmental related events and physical sites of critical importance;
- Taking lead in editing environmental education and awareness including newsletters , posters, fact sheets, flyers, banners, television and radio messages;
- Carrying out any other relevant responsibilities as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should possess an advanced Degree in Mass Communication, Adult and Community Education, and/or Marketing Management . Additional training in Journalism, Information Management, Mass Communication, Marketing Management and /or Public Education.
- Five or more years’ experience in Information and communication processes and Systems
- Capacity to work with minimum supervision
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- High ethics, integrity and confidentiality
- Good reporting skills
- Ability to work under pressure and to make accurate and informed decisions.
- Analytical and coordinating skills
- Ability to work independently and with strong organizational and planning skills.
- High level of confidentiality
- Honesty, Courtesy,
- On time response to instructions.
How to Apply:
All applicants should send their handwritten applications either by hand or via electronic mail and/or through post office enclosing copies of certificates/testimonials and detailed curriculum vitae indicating 3 referees addressed to:-
The Executive Director
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
NEMA House, Plot 17/19/21 Jinja Road
P.O. Box 22255
Deadline: 23rd September 2013 by 5.00 pm