Job Title: Policy & Advocacy Manager
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
About AHF Uganda:
AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF) is an international not for profit NGO, with its Headquarters based in Los Angeles California, and is the largest community-based provider of HIV treatment and care in the United States of America. AIDS Healthcare Foundation provides free HIV/AIDS services including antiretroviral therapy in resource constrained settings. AHFAfrica Bureau to date operates in 10 countries including; Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Zambia, Swaziland and Lesotho. AHF -Africa Bureau is seeking for dynamic, self motivated results oriented and experienced individual to fill in the vacant post below to support the programs in East West Africa.
Job Purpose: The post holder will work in close collaboration with the Africa Bureau and Global Advocacy teams to develop a clear strategy of positioning AHF’s led policy and advocacy agenda/initiatives that will critically influence in-country strategies and an implementation plan for its efficient delivery.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
· The Policy and Advocacy (PA) Manager works with the country team to advocate and support efforts on policy change by AHF as assigned and implement approved policies
· Promote the work of AHF at national and international levels and maintain a comprehensive communication strategy for all programs/initiatives to maximize support and cooperation with partners.
· Keep abreast of research and policy development and debates in Africa and globally, relevant to the issues pertinent to the fight against HIV/AIDS, particularly issues of prevention and treatment.
· Lead the development of, and maintain coalitions/partnerships/ alliances or networks with other partner organizations to gamer support from the grassroots on key advocacy issues. This will include partnerships with Research Organizations, Civil Society Organizations and Social Movements especially those that address similar issues as AHF
· Take the lead on drafting press briefs and work closely with the communications and global advocacy departments, marketing firms to ensure regular engagement of media to promote a sustained public profile of AHFs work and key advocacy issues. This will also include creating, developing and maintaining good relations with the media
· In collaboration with the AHF policy and advocacy teams in the Africa Bureau and the Global Advocacy Office, support the preparation of advocacy materials, including policy briefs, position papers, communication messages, position statement and any other material relevant to the ongoing policy and advocacy campaigns
· Regularly maintains correspondence with the bureau, global team members and campaign partners so as to keep all parties informed on key issues, progress or challenges
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
· Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Social Sciences, international relations or related training and Post graduate qualifications in the relevant field will be added advantage.
· 4 years minimum of proven experience in policy and advocacy strategy development in the NGO sector and social movement with international NGOs or institutions will be critical.
· Sustained experience in popular mobilization and Policy Advocacy work at a National and International level especially on issues related to HIV.
· Relevant experience in policy analysis, lobbying creating policy briefs and policy summations and media work.
· Proven experience in networking and partnership formation and management.
· Good Knowledge of in country HIV National Treatment and policy guidelines.
· Ability to work in a public sector environment to accomplish goals and favorably influence decision making processes in a diplomatic and collaborative manner
· Familiarity with current HIV&AIDS practices and issues in the" policy environment at national and international levels.
· Research and Organizational Development experience
· Minimum of 2 years of international work experience preferred
· Ability to travel within Uganda and internationally regularly
How to Apply:
Candidates with the above qualifications and experience should send their C.V, photocopies of their relevant academic qualifications and application letter with 3 work related references addressed to, The Regional Human Resource Manager AHF-Africa Bureau Office Plot 1 Baker Road Nakasero Hill. P. O. Box 22914 Kampala The deadline for receiving applications is not later than 5.00 pm, Friday 22nd March 2013. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
For More Ugandan Jobs, Please Visit http://ugandanjobline.blogspot.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline