Job Title: Program Officer – Nutrition
Organisation: Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Foundation
Location: Mbarara, Uganda
Reports To: Senior Technical Advisor Clinical Services
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDs Foundation (EGPAF) is a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS working in 17 countries and at 4,700 sites around the world to prevent the transmission of HIV to children and to help those already infected.
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Foundation is supporting JSI Research and Training Institute, Inc to implement The USAID Strengthening Partnerships, Results and Innovations in Nutrition Globally (SPRING).
The Foundation is inviting suitable candidates to apply for the position of Program Officer – Nutrition
Job Summary: The Program Officer is a liaison with the District Health Teams and the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) STAR/SW project team.
S/he will be responsible for: supporting the integration of nutrition assessment, counseling and support (NACS) components into key health services including HIV&AIDS care and treatment services; assisting in the review of existing nutrition materials for which NACS can be applied; liaising with the EGPAF STAR/SW project team to identify ways of providing onsite training and coaching for health workers; providing technical assistance to health workers seeking to integrate treatment and preventive nutrition services; ensuring the nutrition services are implemented as per the national guidelines (such as integrated management of acute malnutrition);supporting coordination mechanisms at district level for nutrition and HIV efforts by providing technical support to the district food and nutrition committees; working in close collaboration with community mobilization specialists in strengthening the capacity of community-based providers in integrating treatment and preventive nutrition services; and, monitoring and reporting progress on a monthly basis on the performance of treatment and preventive nutrition services both at facility and community levels.:
NACS at Facility/Community Level:
- Train, supervise and support district level nutrition staff in the delivery of nutrition services using the NACS framework at health facility and community levels;
- Work with EGPAFSTAR/SW to prepare a detailed work plan for SPRING/Uganda to integrate both treatment and preventive services to reach pregnant and lactating women, children under the age of two years (the first 1,000 days) as well as people living with HIV;
- Support the dissemination and application of nutrition materials/ tools to facilitate the standardization of nutrition services for integration into HIV care services and other health services. The Nutrition Specialist shall also contribute to site visits by providing orientation and technical assistance to nutrition service providers on the use of materials/tools for integrating nutrition services into key health service contact points using the NACS framework;
- Liaise with the District Health Teams and Food and Nutrition Committees to support coordination mechanisms for nutrition services.
- The Nutrition Specialist shall participate in and contribute to the strengthening of the district technical working group on nutrition.
- He/she shall also coordinate with the District Health Teams, and in collaboration with the Strategic Information team, to incorporate appropriate nutrition indicators into the district Health Management Information System (HMIS), and subsequently use data to program and contribute to district decision-making;
- Provide technical input to strengthen treatment services for inpatient and out-patient care, including streamlining the treatment protocols and integration of assessment, counselling and support as key practices into treatment services;
- Support and work closely with the community mobilization specialists in the implementation of nutrition support services at the community level;
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Ensure that monthly and quarterly nutrition work plans are developed and reviewed, and receive final internal approval in a timely manner;
- Share the reports with District Health Teams, as appropriate;
- Work closely with SPRING/Uganda’s technical and Strategic Information teams to ensure program implementation is of the highest quality;
- Participate in reviewing project progress and written reports for the assigned districts;
- Review progress reports for quality and accuracy, and submit to Nutrition Advisor; and,
- Represent SPRING/Uganda in district technical and coordination meetings and activities in the respective districts.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree in Nutrition. Master’s degree in nutrition and/or dietetics is an added advantage.
- At least 3 years of proven experience in implementing health and community based nutrition interventions (treatment and preventive).
- Experience working in health and nutrition quality improvement programs including NACS, IMAM and Infant and Young Child feeding counseling.
- Proven track record that demonstrates leadership skills, project management, budget and resource management experience, and client relationship management capability.
- Demonstrated program management competency and effective communication skills in working with district, government, implementing partners and USAID Mission.
- Experience working across multiple sub agreements and partners; ability to work well with people at all levels. Team player with ability to work with staff, partners and beneficiaries of different backgrounds.
- Attention to detail and excellent written and oral communications and negotiating skills; proficiency in English, Runyakitara, or other major languages spoken in the Southwest.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork and effectiveness within a dynamic multi-disciplinary project.
How to Apply:
EGPAF is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified individuals are welcome to apply.
Please send cover letter and CV to:
The Country Director/COP
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF)
Plot 18A Kyadondo Road, Nakasero
P.O. Box 21127 Kampala, Uganda
EGPAF will only contact short-listed applicants.
Deadline: Monday, December 17th 2012
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.