Job Title: Social Worker
Organisation: Hospice Africa Uganda
Duty Station: Mobile Hospice Mbarara, Uganda
Hospice Africa Uganda (HAU) is a national organization which was founded in 1993 to promote modern methods of pain and symptom control as well as "whole-person" (holistic) care for patients living with cancer and HIV/AIDS. HAU strives to uphold excellent clinical standards and provide quality education courses and advocacy activities to promote the spread of palliative care throughout Uganda and Africa.
Job Summary: The Social Worker will provide social work support to patients, train and educate colleagues at HAU and train health workers attending courses in the education department.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Direct Patient Care:
· Take lead in psychosocial work with the team to identify and support patients that may need social welfare;
· Follow-up patients on comfort fund and ensure accountability and transparency;
· Network patients with other organizations according to their needs;
· Provide counseling and use effective communication skills to identify psychosocial problems & find suitable options/ solutions;
· Participate in health education and health promotion of patients and family members;
· Develop & maintain appropriate information, education & communication materials for patients & their families;
· Work closely with other health professionals for appropriate patient consultations and referrals for care;
· Attend to documentation of patient and family interactions in the case notes;
· Ensure adequate discharge planning;
· Follow-up patients;
· Coordinate day care activities.
Teaching and Training:
· Teach, train and provide supervision for colleagues (clinicians, volunteers, interns) at HAU regarding social work issues;
· Offer timely support, supervise and mentor social work students on placement and training programs at HAU;
· Assist in building a reservoir of resource persons, materials and audiovisual aids for training in Palliative care;
· Teach and reinforce learning of psychosocial skills for patients and their families so that they cope with their illness and have increased resilience.
Project Leadership (Coordinate the Give A Chance (GAC) projects):
· Make school fees, scholastic and sundries requests for Give A Chance beneficiaries every term;
· Make school fees payment for GAC beneficiaries and ensure all receive scholastic materials and sundries;
· Provide support and supervision for children’s schooling every term and make termly reports; Write annual reports for Give A Chance projects.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting: Monitor, evaluate and report on social work activities at HAU
· Advocate for welfare of patients admitted in hospitals, in the community and those enrolled on research studies;
· Actively promote access to comprehensive quality palliative care to people living with HIV/AIDS and cancer and their families.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work and Social Administration
· At least three years’ experience caring for terminally ill patients and families, and managing their psychosocial issues;
· Good teaching skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications including a resume with three work related referees and a cover letter via E-mail to: email@example.com
Address your applications to:
The Human Resources and Administration Office,
Hospice Africa Uganda,
Plot 130, Makindye Road, Opposite Makindye Country Club,
P.O. Box 7757, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 19th November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline