Job Title: IT Officer
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Office Manager
WaterAid’s Vision is of a world where everyone has access to safe water and sanitation. Our mission is to transform lives by improving access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world’s poorest communities, WaterAid works with partners to maximize its impacts for policy change/influence. WaterAid works through supporting local organizations and government authorities to design low cost sustainable projects using appropriate and affordable technologies that can be managed by the community itself. WaterAid also seeks to influence the policy change through government and other key international organizations to secure and protect the right of poor people to safe, affordable water and sanitation services.
Job Summary: The IT Officer will maintain an overall operational leadership of the IT function with an aim to improve and meet the information technology needs which support and add value to WaterAid. The incumbent will administer and implement ICT infrastructures for WaterAid Uganda and contribute to organizational policy with regard to quality standards and technology related planning. The IT Officer will be proactive and make recommendations for improvement of IT support as required.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The Information Technology Officer is responsible for setting up, maintaining, and providing technical support the Country Programme
· Manage all IT support services and ensure that adequate level of support is being provided to the organization and users.
· The incumbent will implement and manage key systems and services that provide the required ICT environment for WaterAid Uganda
· Lead on the roll-out and implementation of new global systems in the Country Programme.
· Ensure standard backups are completed successfully on a daily basis and in accordance with the established procedures.
· Additionally, ensure that the off-site data warehousing facility is operational and running as planned.
· In charge of the registration and administration of WaterAid’s operating system, software licenses, and IT assets.
· Maintain and regularly update thorough documentation relating to the network configuration and its administration.
· Ensure availability of pooled knowledge in the event of a disaster.
· Implements and manages the storage facilities that provide for backup and archiving of critical data, sharing of common data and active devices.
Systems and Procedures:
· Act as the primary point of contact for hardware problems, maintenance and repair with approved suppliers.
· Identifying training and support needs for users and developing and/or sourcing the training required to encourage WaterAid staff knowledge, understanding and utilisation of IT hardware and software deployed at WaterAid.
· Monitor and ensure that IT policies, such as Internet, email and anti-virus policies are adhered to for all desktop users.
· Ensure policies are implemented, functioning properly and corrective action is taken if any violations are identified.
· Lead on IT/data disaster recovery planning and in particular to maintain strategies related to technical service provision and recovery.
Learning and Development:
· Stay abreast with new developments and advancements in information communication technology (ICT) and make suggestions for improvements to services provided.
· Inform users of any anticipated downtimes and ensure that alternatives are available to users for email communication.
· Prepare monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual reports to the line manager on IT related activities.
· Manage and ensure inventory of IT assets and responsible for year-end physical count and report.
· Send regular feedback to management on IT issues highlighting problems and special initiatives taken.
· Plan, implement, monitor and report that the ICT budget to ensure cost effectiveness.
· Provide troubleshooting solutions
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the WaterAid IT Officer employment opportunity must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology
· At least six years’ experience supporting and troubleshooting Windows PCs, servers, printers and networks or similar work environment; Microsoft or networking certifications on the above platforms preferred
· Excellent communication skills.
· Local IT market awareness desired
· Broad knowledge and understanding of anti-virus software and how viruses propagate and infect.
· Good knowledge of peer-to-peer e.g. in workgroup consisting of Microsoft Windows, server-based networking e.g. based on the domain model of Microsoft Windows and Active Directory,
· Good knowledge of equipment for organizing, protecting, and troubleshooting LAN and WAN hardware.
· Awareness of technologies for securely interfacing private corporate networks with unsecured public ones, such as firewalls, proxy servers, and packet-filtering routers.
· Understanding of VOIP, SIP based telephony and Microsoft Lync software
· Show commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these
· Good team player, able to work in a collaborative way
· Excellent customer service skills
· A helpful and supportive attitude
· Excellent problem solving and communication skills.
· Ability to take on projects and work on own initiative
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated CVs and motivation letters to: WAUrecruitment@wateraid.org including three work related referees. Emails should not exceed 2MB.
NB: In order to apply for this role, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Uganda.
Deadline: 30th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline