Job Title: ICT Specialist
Organisation: Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP)
Duty Station: Fort Portal, Uganda
Reports to: ICT Manager
Position Number: 036/016
The Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is a non-profit HIV research program that was established in 2002 as a result of a memorandum of understanding between Makerere University and The Henry M. Jackson foundation for Advancement of Military Medicine Inc. of USA (HJF). The primary purpose of MUWRP is to develop, evaluate and provide interventions to mitigate disease threats of public health importance to Uganda.
Job Summary: The ICT Specialist will mainly be responsible for the implementation and maintenance of a local area network, the maintenance, installation and support of computer software, hardware and associated applications at the MUWRP JMEDDIC offices/ Labs in Fort Portal. His/her primary responsibility will be to efficiently oversee IT issues for MUWRP research studies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Write Standard Operating Procedures for Network Management.
· Manage the maintenance of asset tracking and inventory management.
· Maintain Help Desk for JMEDICC staff.
· Oversees maintenance, installation and support of computer software, hardware and peripherals.
· Maintains local area network and satellite Internet service provider system
· Attends study and departmental meetings as required.
· Provide other related duties as required to accomplish the objectives of the position.
· Knowledgeable of HIV vaccine research and current research studies and program activities at MUWRP.
· Ensure proper operation of the computer network.
· Manage regular system start-up and shutdown procedures.
· Establish and maintain user accounts.
· Maintain record of daily data communication transactions, problems and remedial action taken, and installation activities.
· Establish and maintain proper protection levels for directories, files and services as specified by MUWRP.
· Manage server disk and memory space to maximize performance and reliability.
· Ensure regular system backup as specified by Standard Operating Procedures
· Archive data as specified by Standard Operating Procedures
· Maintain and manage hardware and software documentation
· Control a library of all original software.
· Install new software and software patches and upgrades specified by Standard Operating Procedures
· Install new or replacement hardware authorized by Standard Operating Procedures
· Execute a routine system maintenance and plan specified by Standard Operating Procedures
· Coordinate with local providers of supplies and services
· Offer timely client support and technical issue resolution via E-Mail, phone and other electronic medium.
· Provide training to clients in the use of system and applications as related to Internet and software applications.
· Diagnose and resolve problems with network hardware and software.
· Strong work ethic and the ability to work extended hours when required
· May be required to be available for appropriate duties such as reviewing cases, attending meetings or training sessions outside normal working hours or during weekends.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the ICT Specialist vacancy must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology specializing in computers or related field is required.
· At least four years relevant experience.
· Firewall, Router, Server and Network management experience.
· Broad knowledge and understanding of installation, configuration and troubleshooting processes for software, hardware, networking and accessory equipment.
· Ability to promptly answer support related email, phone calls and other electronic communications.
· Highly organized, detail-oriented and self-motivated.
· Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
· Ability to work on own initiative.
· Ability to professionally communicate in writing and verbally or other means as deemed appropriate.
· Ability to travel throughout Uganda.
· Fluency in verbal and written English.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should download the application form, download here, attach it together with application letters, CVs, Photocopies of academic qualifications and three professional referees. The position number (Check top of advert) and preferred location should clearly be stated in the application letter.
Please send applications to:
The Human Resources and Administration Manager
Makerere University Walter Reed Project
Plot 42 Nakasero Road.
P.O. Box 16524 Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 16th November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline