Job Title: Health Specialist
Organisation: Food for the Hungry (FH)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Program Director
Food for the Hungry (FH) is a Christian international relief and development organization that has been working in Uganda since 1989. FH’s primary goal is to respond to development needs and complex humanitarian emergencies. FH is currently operating programs in more than 26 countries and has national offices in the UK, Canada, Switzerland, Korea, United States of America and Japan. In Uganda, FH is operational in the communities of Pader, Kitgum, Lamwo, Agago, Kole, Kween, Mbale, and Mukono Districts implementing programs in four main sectors of Education; Food Security and livelihoods; Health/Nutrition and Disaster Risk Reduction; with the Head office located it Kampala.
Job Summary: The Health Specialist will support FH Uganda Program in the provision of technical and programmatic project management, representation and monitoring of Health and Nutrition sector within FH multi-sector development programs and projects that are consistent with the 2015-2020 Strategy; and to collaborate with other sectors to develop integrated programming.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Technical Quality (60%)
· Provide technical leadership and direction for all Health and Nutrition activities; define and implement activities to achieve the greatest coverage and impact possible. This includes providing technical guidance on contextually-appropriate methodologies for delivering Health and Nutrition activities.
· The incumbent will integrate behavior change and adult learning methodologies into Health and Nutrition programming and model them in interactions with other staff.
· Offers technical training and support to all Multi-Sector Transformation Promoters in promoting Health and Nutrition activities in the community for their adoption and practice.
· Prepares and updates Health and Nutrition reports and report systems in coordination with the M&E Coordinator and ensures timely submission.
· Ensures monitoring and evaluation activities for Health and Nutrition are carried out and appropriate corrective/preventative actions are implemented in coordination with the M&E Coordinator
· Establishes, coordinates, and maintains relationships with different Health and Nutrition stakeholders at international and national level.
· Prepares Health and Nutrition proposals in coordination with relevant staff at the local and national level.
· Actively participate in development and implementation of Health and Nutrition sector systems that will support the organization’s efforts to monitor and evaluate its Health and Nutrition projects
· Ensure that ethical and sound data collection and information management systems are in place for appropriate program analysis, planning, evaluation, and advocacy in line with the overall program M&E.
· Take part in the design and implementation of baseline, needs assessments and impact evaluations as well as monitoring program progress to ensure donor compliance and program quality.
· Ensure regular communication with the Program Management Team within FH Uganda, and headquarters-based Technical Advisors for Health and Nutrition to integrate appropriate technical unit priorities in program design and implementation.
Program Management (30%)
· Manage the effective implementation of the Health and Nutrition program.
· Work in liaison with the Program Management Team on developing sound implementation plans, budgets, and spending plans to successfully implement the Health and Nutrition component within this sectors' programming.
· Use tracking and monitoring tools to ensure program implementation is on track and of highest quality.
Staff Development (5%)
· Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
· Assist with and as necessary lead the recruitment of Health and Nutrition staff, in coordination with FH Uganda human resources and senior management, and headquarters' technical units.
· Mentor and build capacity of health and nutrition staff in sector-related skills.
External Relations (5%)
· Support the Program Director with representation to the government at national level, helping to ensure constructive working relationships are maintained to allow expansion and growth of FH Uganda transformation development in the province.
· Work in close conjunction with the Program Director and other staff, represent FH Uganda at the national level to other NGOs, and visitors ensuring coordination and attendance at relevant interagency technical, and security coordination networks as necessary.
· Seek out donor opportunities in line with Health and Nutrition strategy and priorities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Food for the Hungry (FH) Health Specialist job opportunity must hold an Advanced degree in Public Health, Nutrition or related sciences from accredited university. A post graduate diploma in project management is an added advantage.
· A minimum of five years of previous experience in health and nutrition programming.
· Experience developing proposals in the health, public health and or nutrition.
· Previous experience in mainstreaming gender, environment, peacebuilding, disability and or institutional development (INGO and government).
· Experience working with Government and other partners (Multi-lateral Agencies, private donors).
· Have a vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ
· Has thorough understanding of development and/or missions
· Has a strong aptitude for organizational change, participatory and servant leadership, innovation, learning, team building
· Is interested in the growth and well-being of the staff
· Strong people-management and leadership skills
· Proven experience in managing donor relationships including private donors
· Ability to represent the Agency in high-level meetings with donors, local Church and local government.
· Commitment to accountability to beneficiaries and transparency, showing dignity and respect, and demonstrating listening and understanding
· Proven Ministry and church planting / development experience
· Excellent communication skills and writing skills.
· Team player
· Training and mentoring skills
· Computer skills: demonstrates proficiency in computer applications including use of Microsoft Office Suite, Lotus Notes, intranet and internet, and various software applications and databases commonly used in the work space.
· Proven leadership and strategic planning capabilities with demonstrated budget management ability.
· Knowledge of all regulatory, contractual, legal and financial compliance requirements associated with international donor funding.
· Willingness to travel to the field and occasionally at field sites with rustic conditions and various levels of privation.
· Good Office Suite skills
· Proficiency in spoken and written English.
· Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
· Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of manager’s clients, customers, and the general public.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates are encouraged to send an updated CV and cover letter with three work-related referees including the most recent or current employer to the address or via e-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: 2nd December 2016 by 5:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline