Job Title: Head WASH and Wealth
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director Programmes
WaterAid’s Vision is of a world where everyone has access to safe water and sanitation. Our mission is to transform lives by improving access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world’s poorest communities, WaterAid works with partners to maximize its impacts for policy change/influence. WaterAid works through supporting local organizations and government authorities to design low cost sustainable projects using appropriate and affordable technologies that can be managed by the community itself. WaterAid also seeks to influence the policy change through government and other key international organizations to secure and protect the right of poor people to safe, affordable water and sanitation services.
Job Summary: The Head WASH and Wealth will offer support in demonstrating the contribution of WASH to increased productivity, higher standards of living and more productive assets. Making an economic case for WASH using evidence synthesis for its contribution to enhancing a productive populace, ensuring sustainable development, job creation, productivity and income enhancement with the ability to attract domestic and direct foreign investments. The jobholder will lead on economic analysis and developing content of the country strategy paper, defining the WASH and wealth agenda for the country strategy.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Technical Support and Oversight:
· Develop high quality macro analytical work through analysis and modelling, to support WASH programs positioning in Uganda’s economic growth and fiscal policy.
· Support and participate in Uganda economic policy dialogue and utilise continuous economic analysis steer debate and advocate for WASH prioritisation.
· Perform any other tasks related to developing knowledge on WASH contribution through macroeconomic modelling/forecasting, monitoring and due diligence.
· Actively participate in the design, preparation and dissemination of analytical economic work and reporting, including bi-annual WASH and Development economic updates;
· Actively contribute to the drafting of presentations, memos, reports, notes, briefs, blogs, and analytical findings as per WAU country program needs.
· Work in liaison with colleagues in partner agencies especially government and donors to transfer experience and collaboratively deliver on enhancing the WASH economic debate
· Forecast WASH in economic, political, or social trends
· Carry out research on WASH and economic topics focusing on the following
· Responsible for the development of programs or policy recommendations to achieve WASH goals in cost-effective ways.
· Write research proposals and grant applications to obtain private or public funding for WASH and economics studies and demonstrations.
· Carry out research to study the relationships between WASH problems and patterns of economic production and consumption.
· Spearhead research on WASH and its impact on industrial or development activities
· Assess the costs and benefits of various activities, policies, or regulations that affect water and sanitation resources.
· Prepare and deliver presentations to communicate WASH and economic study results, to present policy recommendations, or to raise awareness of WASH consequences to economic development
· Work effectively within a matrix organizational structure with staff in the other program pillars as well as finance to ensure that all the programme activities are in line with the influencing objectives.
· Ensure that WASH service delivery follows the core value of equity and inclusion through mainstreaming equity and inclusion in the projects implemented with government
· Manage the WASH economic agenda by ensuring the shape and content of all programs at the field level are designed to generate evidence and excellence that can be utilized at regional and national level
· Responsible for generating consistent critical analysis on the national, regional and district level political economy which will inform and shape partnership with government as well as investments.
· Represent WAU at different meetings and forums, nationally/internationally as assigned by line management
Networking and Partnerships:
· Responsible for building partnerships with government institutions, donors, universities, private sector and research institutions so as to advance WAU’s strategic objectives.
· Build networks of supporters by sharing WAU’s key messages.
· Represent WAU in key sector events nationally or globally as assigned
· Work in liaison with the Director Programmes, Fundraising and Strategy Director to develop concept notes for mobilizing sufficient resources for the CP strategic priorities.
· Collect case stories and share with the fund raising team for mobilizing resources locally or globally from funding agencies.
Monitoring and Reporting:
· Regularly monitor implementation of the WASH and wealth unit programme and prepare key reports on the basis of organizational policies and procedures including monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual reports.
· Ensure high-quality, well-written and timely reports meeting donor and WAU requirements.
· Significantly contribute to the preparation of other organizational reports, biannual and annual reports.
· Directly supervise all staff in the unit, support recruitment, supervision, performance evaluation and capacity development of these positions.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the WaterAid Head WASH and Wealth career placement must hold a Masters level qualification in Business Administration with focus in business development, Marketing, Entrepreneurship or other related discipline.
· At least ten years’ experience working in a developing country and/or humanitarian context, with prior experience in senior programme management or working towards senior programme management.
· Previous exposure and experience in wealth creation initiatives among poor communities
· Developed management and communication skills with the ability to motivate, support and mentor staff to produce results
· Excellent report writing skills and communication skills
· Previous experience in business development within private sector is desirable
· Previous experience in designing and implementing behaviour change activities.
· Prior exposure and experience working within a Consortium, or a project with multiple partners
· Advanced written and spoken English
· Previous exposure and experience in programme design and successful proposal development.
· Demonstrable experience and competence in networking and effective relationship building with peers, donors and government. High level of diplomacy and tact
· Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
· Ability to work to deadlines and under pressure
· Strong proven delegation, time management and prioritising skills
· Flexible, patient and adaptable to a changing environment.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and team building skills.
· Effective networking abilities
· Excellent people management capabilities
· Good public speaking ability in English
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated CVs and motivation letters to: WAUrecruitment@wateraid.org including three work related referees. Emails should not exceed 2MB.
NB: In order to apply for this role, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Uganda.
Deadline: 16th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline