Job Title: Chief Operations Officer
Organisation: Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Group Chief Executive (GCEO)
Job Ref No: SM001
The Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi), a group of registered companies namely aBi Trust and aBi Finance Ltd, is a multi-stakeholder entity co-founded in July 2010 by the Governments of Uganda and Denmark through DANIDA and the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development respectively, with the objective to promote “Private sector agribusiness development to enhance wealth creation.” The development objective of the aBi Trust is building a self-sustaining export-led economy in which the benefits are shared by all Ugandans, and its immediate objective is to strengthen the competitiveness of Uganda’s agricultural and agro-processing sector. It does this through Value Chain Development (VCD) of six value chains (Coffee, Cereals, Pulses, Horticulture, Dairy and Oil Seeds) and Financial Services Development (FSD).
Job Summary: The Chief Operations Officer will provide operational leadership which will ensure that the aBi Trust achieves its objectives, resulting in a significant impact on the development of agribusiness in Uganda and the wellbeing of poor people; in addition the COO takes the lead in ensuring program quality and learning across the aBi Group.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Take lead of aBi Trust’s impact in Uganda’s agribusiness sector through the development of operational plans that will deliver against the strategy and business plan
· Actively contribute to the development, revision and communication of aBi’s strategic plan; particularly by feeding in the results of program quality and learning
· Ensure participation of relevant staff and key external stakeholders in strategic planning process.
· Take the lead in working with Head of Portfolio Development and Head of Technical / Quality Assurance in converting strategy into operational plans
· Ensure that plans are harmonised with aBi Finance.
Ensure the development and implementation of policies, systems, procedures and tools that will assure quality delivery, effective impact, and management of risk.
· Keenly review current policies, systems, procedures and tools to determine effectiveness for achievement of strategic goals; includes reviewing audit and M&E findings
· Ensure that research into best practice is conducted and incorporated into the design of new or improved systems/tools
· Ensure the roll-out of new or improved systems/tools (e.g. through communication, training & delegation to staff)
· Work closely with the Technical Manager to develop ICT systems and tools
· Act as a role model and hold the team accountable for effective risk management
Lead the development and implementation of a project pipeline that will drive the achievement of the strategy and utilization of funds
· Steer the design of strategic interventions; encompassing learning from impact assessments into the development of theories of change.
· Take lead in the identification of implementing partners who will have high impact.
· Identify and address opportunities for aBi to act as a convener and investment broker.
· Ensure the project portfolio is managed effectively.
Lead program quality and learning, ensuring that aBi continuously develops broad and deep understanding of the agricultural sector and how to enhance it
· Stay abreast with developing understanding in the field
· Work in liaison with the COO Corporate Services and the EPR Team to coordinate M&E activities: development of results measurement framework, conducting of baseline, impact studies and evaluation; plus training of implementing partners to participate.
· Lead the aBi team in reviewing lessons learned and developing understanding Oversee the development and implementation of knowledge management systems & reporting
Actively participate in the development and implementation of aBi’s Communications plan; ensuring that the plan will result in key stakeholders being influenced effectively:
· Lead the team in identifying which of aBi’s strategies require stakeholders to be influenced
· Work closely with the Advocacy & Communications Manager to ensure that stakeholder analysis is carried out and influencing strategies developed
· Ensure that the team delivers any components of the communications strategy and plan that are allocated to them.
· Take personal responsibility for influencing, advocacy and communication according to personal interest and priorities.
Lead the aBi Trust Team, in a manner that empowers them to deliver aBi’s goals and objectives:
· Communicate to the aBi Trust Team a clear and exciting vision for the work of the organisation.
· Ensure that each team member is provided with clear expectations for achievement of results, standards and behaviour.
· Plan and organise the work of the department so as to accomplish strategic and operational goals in the most cost effective manner possible; ensuring that an appropriately sized team of competent staff and consultants are in place.
· Support and build the capacity of team members to enable them to give of their best e.g. by encouraging and praising good performance, coaching, training, assisting staff to prevent or resolve problems, providing resources, tools and equipment.
· Monitor and review performance and, in particular, hold staff accountable for achieving results, meeting standards of excellence and delivering any improvement goals which have been identified; taking decisive action in the case of poor performance.
Ensure effective utilisation of the finances associated with the aBi Trust; in compliance with aBi policies and donor requirements:
· Chair the aBi Trust Investment Committee; aiming to maximise the impact of aBi’s resources.
· Develop and oversee the budget for aBi Trust; ensuring that plans and resources are matched and priorities for expenditure identified.
· Manage the finances of the department, reviewing expenditure against budget and taking any necessary corrective actions; ensuring cost-effective utilisation of resources at all times.
· Safeguarding aBi’s financial resources by giving due consideration before signing approvals; whilst contributing towards efficiency with a quick turnaround time
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should preferably hold a Masters in Agricultural Economics or Business Administration
· A minimum of ten years working experience in senior management role
· Broad knowledge of aBi Trust products and facilities and risks profile of these products
· Knowledge and experience in value chain development in developing countries, especially within the agricultural sector
· Working knowledge and experience in agricultural market development for business services
· Significant exposure and experience with smallholder development strategies and organic agriculture development are an added advantage
· Knowledge and experience in establishing quality and learning systems in organizations
· Previous exposure and experience in leading cross cultural, multi-functional teams for performance
· Previous exposure and experience in Networking and building to develop strategic partnerships
· Proficiency in Microsoft programs and report writing
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should apply online by clicking on link below and following the instructions.
Deadline: 25th November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline