Job Title: Project Officer (2 Job Placements)
Organisation: AMREF Health Africa
Duty Station: Kabale and Soroti, Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
AMREF Health Africa is an international African organization founded in Kenya in 1957. Our Headquarters are in Nairobi with major programmes in Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda, and two regional nubs in Southern and Western Africa based in South Africa and Senegal Respectively. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa aims to close the gap that prevents people from accessing their basic right to health. Amref Health Africa is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities. Our Vision is Lasting Health Change in Africa.
Job Summary: The Project Officer will provide efficient and flexible advocacy support to the project. The Project Officer will develop district level advocacy work plans in alignment with the overall project work plan that will further the objectives of the project. He/she will research, analyze and write policy and advocacy statements, submissions and documents on policy issues relating to the intervention in his/her respective district. He/she will represent the project on occasion and be expected to continue the existing good relationship the project and partners have developed with stakeholders and supporters. The project Officer will be expected to undertake their work in a manner that is professional, friendly and flexible and to be prepared, within reason, to undertake other areas of work, as needed
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Work in close collaboration with other project teams members and district partners develop and implement advocacy strategy at the district level.
· Liaising closely with project coordinator and partners in delivering the project advocacy strategy
· Represent the project in lobby and advocacy actions, consultation meetings/conferences within civil society, Private public partnership, political and government circles within the projects agenda;
· Offer support in the monitoring and evaluation of the impact of the advocacy interventions and deliver regular analysis and updates for the project team
· Develop and maintains partnership with relevant actors in pursuit of lobby and advocacy objectives by means of structural relation- and stakeholder management
· Work in close consultation with the project Communications assistant, Develop/update the projects specific messages and identify advocacy targets and activities on key HRH and SRH priority counties/issues.
· Produce materials for advocacy, communications and media purposes on HRH and SRH priorities from the district visits and desk based research, including drafting or inputting into reports, briefing papers, submissions to partners and web content with support of the project Communications assistant
· Draft updates and analysis of the policy developments for the district and national level and translate these developments into chances for the project
· Support efforts to build the projects presence and profile at the district and at the national level including establishing relationships with key legislators
· Perform any other duties assigned by the Project Coordinator.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the AMREF Project Officer job opportunity must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Development, health Service Management, Social Sciences or closely related field
· Possession of a post-graduate qualification and training in health advocacy, information science, human resource management, Supplies management , health advocacy monitoring and evaluation, Media management, project planning and management
· At least three years of professional work experience at the district , CBO, CSO or national level health advocacy
· Previous experience in health policy analysis, development, review and implementation
· Prior exposure and experience in communication and Desk top publishing preferably in an NGO environment
· Demonstrated initiative and creativity
· Previous experience and familiarity with health budget advocacy in Uganda
· Project management skills
· Good computer skills
· Ability to document and package salient project issues for side sharing
· Ability to lobby and communicate timely
· Ability to establish linkages and network with relevant stakeholders
· Very good oral and written communication skills
· Good reporting and feedback skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills,
· Strong team orientation
· Willingness to travel frequently out of the workstation.
· Willingness to support other related project advocacy initiatives.
· Excellent command of English.
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to send an updated CV including three professional referees and cover letter addressed to the Human Resources Manager, Amref Health Africa in Uganda via Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should not exceed 2MB.
Deadline: 4th November 2016 by 5:00 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline