Job Title: Travel Assistant
Organization: United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Job Grade: GS-6
Reports to: Administrative Specialist
Vacancy Number: 499436
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is mandated by the UN general assembly to advocate for the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and expand their opportunities to reach their full potential. Together with our partners, we work in 190 countries and territories to translate that commitment into practical action, focusing special effort on reaching the most vulnerable and excluded children, to the benefit of all children, everywhere.
Job Summary: The Travel Assistant will support the United Nations UNICEF office through the preparation and processing of documentation for travel of United Nations staff members and dependents, consultants and participants to meetings.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Upon receipt of approved travel request, incumbent obtains at least three quotations from GDS (Global Distribution System) or travel agents. Reviews the quotes to ensure most direct and most economical option is selected in adherence with UNICEF regulations. Informs traveler of routing as well as supervisor. Once TA has been authorized, posts invoice in Vision. Ensures to send all details to traveler in timely manner. Reconfirms tickets of all visiting missions. Requests security clearance for the traveler, if necessary and where applicable.
· Co-ordinates and supervises daily administrative support services for all travel: receive requests, calculate rates and entitlements, finalize travel authorizations after approval from budget owners. Act as Travel Administrator for Kampala Office in Vision – post, amend and settle Travel Authorizations, including monitoring TA's that are open for more than 15 days. Initiates amendments of travel authorizations (claims) to reflect the actual dates traveled whenever necessary and calculates the total amount of the claim before sending supervisor for certification, posting and closing
· Guides staff on visa and vaccination requirements of countries to be visited, and ensures that application forms are completed correctly with accompanying material and submitted to the consulate or embassy well in advance of the travel dates.
· Upon approval, sends authorized requests to the travel agent to issue tickets. Draft correspondence to other UN offices requesting issuance of tickets, travel authorizations and daily subsistence allowances.
· Arranges local air charter flights, screening of bills for local charters, travel agents. Processes payments for tickets and travel expenses.
· Maintains files and records related to travel.
· The incumbent coordinates with supervisor, finance and intending travelers to ensure the travel is well prepared and arranged.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the United Nations UNICEF Travel Assistant job placement should have completed secondary school.
· Additional training in travel management is an added advantage
· At least six years’ experience with travel management related work, such as at an airline or in a travel agency.
· Excellent computer skills.
· Knowledge of United Nations travel rules and practices, and of standard tools and references of the travel industry.
· Good knowledge of English. Knowledge of a local language an asset. Knowledge of French would be helpful.
· Preferably hands-on experience with Global Distribution Systems used by the industry.(ex. Amadeus CRS, Sabre, Travelport etc.)
· Working knowledge of airline routes, fares and fare construction.
· Computer literacy required for airline schedules as well as travel document preparation.
· Ability to establish good relations with travel agencies and airlines as well as consulates and embassies.
· Good skills with figures to calculate DSA, air fares and budget figures
· Knowledge of basic computer skills, e.g. Word & Excel
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
· Customer oriented
Core Values: Commitment, Diversity and Inclusion, Integrity
Core Competencies: Communication, Drive for Results, Working with People
Functional Competencies: Analyzing (II), Applying Technical Expertise (II), Planning and organizing (II), Following Instructions and Procedures (II)
NB: UNICEF is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. UNICEF is a smoke free environment.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the United Nations UNICEF in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to visit the link below to Apply.
Deadline: 25th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline