Organization: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Job Summary: The Programme Finance/Monitoring & Evaluation Analyst will support the Management Support Unit (MSU) in facilitating the implementation of the Country Programme Document (CPD), its associated projects and programmes. The main duty of the Analyst will be to ensure the optimal support function of the Management Support Team in substantive and financial monitoring of the CPD including effective monitoring of implementation. The Analyst will support the team in strategic planning and identification of new programme areas while ensuring consistency with UNDAF/CPD priorities and creative responses to emerging challenges and opportunities. The Analyst will work in close collaboration with the Operations team in the CO, Programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to successfully implement the UNDP programme.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
MSU works in continuous interaction with both Programme and Operations teams (particularly the Finance Unit) in the CO, Programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, Technical Advisors and Experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to successfully implement the CO CPD. Specifically, this collaboration is to:
· The incumbent will deliver quality work, achieve effective development results, and retain trust through providing coordinated, client-oriented, timely planning and management services;
· Enhance development and organizational effectiveness of UNDP Uganda CO;
· Enhance the overall CO capacities for results-based management, and effective and efficient delivery of quality services to the Government of Uganda;
· Strengthen synergies between Programme and Operations, between the CO and Implementing Partners, as well as between the CO and other development partners;
· Ensure linkages between continuous situation analysis, programme strategic planning and implementation, financial oversight, and;
· Supplement monitoring and evaluation results of the CO Monitoring and Evaluation;
Financial Management: This includes:
· Planning: Resource Allocation (projections);
· Backstop the assessments of Implementing Partners’ financial and administrative capacity (Harmonized Approaches to Cash Transfers (HACT);
· Backstop programme in drawing up and managing project budgets (physical and in atlas);
· Regularly monitor Country Office financial delivery including;
· Dashboard monitoring on resource utilization (targets/expenditure), status of project advances, Cost sharing fund management, budget management, among others;
· Prepare periodic financial reports to advise management and staff on status of financial delivery;
· Backstop the office in providing financial reports to HQ, donors and other stakeholders e.g. certified financial report;
· Support implementation and follow up on programme portfolio pipelines and Project Tree in ATLAS, ensuring compliance with CO pipeline and pipeline management policies;
· Backstop implementation of cost sharing and trust fund agreements in compliance with UNDP Financial guidelines;
· Implement programme financial resources management through compliant planning, guiding, controlling of the resources;
· Monitor project cash flow to determine funds availability for advances and payments to conform to the disbursement requests and work plans;
· Monitor fund advances, settlement & reporting of the NIM advances to ensure HACT compliance;
Knowledge Management: This includes:
· Orient Implementing Partners and staff on UNDP processes and procedures including Audit processes, HACT, financial reporting, etc;
· Orient programme staff in Atlas (financial and programme), IPSAS, Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfers (HACT), among others;
· Support a Depository for programme data e.g. project documents, AWPs, Donor Agreements, audit reports;
· Guidance to Project staff on UNDP administrative and NEX reporting, in particular, on budgetary and resource management issues;
· Organise/conduct training for the CO Staff in areas of UNDP guidelines on financial, Management and RBM;
· Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in programme and programme finance.
· Ensure MSU contribution to the implementation of CO learning plan and strategy;
· Manage the guidance of CO staff regarding UNDP business processes, SOPs and ICFs.
Support to monitoring and evaluation of projects and programmes such as:
· Promotion and use of project monitoring tools;
· Monitoring of programme issues/risks;
· Follow-up audit recommendations entered in Integrated Work Plan (IWP);
· Follow-up evaluations entered in IWP;
· Updating project targets;
· Unit quarterly progress on development t results;
· Up-loading Project supporting documents such as PRODOC, Annual work plan, reports;
· Assessing quarterly progress of activities;
· Update the UNDP evaluation resource centre site;
· Support in updating the IWP/Atlas with projects information as corporately required;
· Support the design of ToRS and follow- up to implementation of planned evaluations;
· Contribute to the preparation/revision of UNDP CPD and other strategic documents;
· Support the preparation and operationalization of UNDAF and CPD, and its mid-term and terminal reviews;
· Support the development of CO Integrated Work Plan and other corporate exercises related to UNDP Strategic Plan (2014-2017) – i.e., SP Linking and Alignment, Monitoring baseline, target and milestones for SP IRRF indicators;
· Support the country office compliance with all corporate reporting requirements, such as IWP monitoring, ROAR reporting (Results Oriented Annual Report);
· Actively involve in CO business processes mapping and implementation of Internal Standard Operating Procedures in RBM;
· Provide inputs to CO programmes and projects formulation, and to other processes of programmes and projects life cycle.
Management of the National Execution Annual Audit process:
· Ensuring annual auditing of programmes;
· Backstop the annual project audits and Management audits for the office as well as follow up on implementation and reporting of Audit recommendations.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNDP Programme Finance/Monitoring & Evaluation Analyst job opportunity should hold an Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Finance/Accounting, Business, Public Administration or Monitoring & Evaluation with a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy. Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
· At least five years’ relevant experience at the national and international levels in Monitoring and evaluation of programmes, providing management support, hands-on experience in supporting programme teams implementing development projects and supporting establishment of inter-relationships among international and national governments.
· Previous exposure and experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
· Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards. Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
· Knowledge Management and Learning
· Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
· Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills Development and Operational Effectiveness;
· Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
· Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources;
· Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, and conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery;
· Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit;
· Good ICT skills, knowledge of Atlas;
· Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioural/ attitudinal change Management and Leadership;
· Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
· Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
NB: The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 20th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline