Job Title: Transport Officer
Organisation: Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance and Administration Manager
Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) is a statutory body under the Ministry of Trade Industry and Cooperatives mandated to coordinate the elaboration of standards and quality of products and services so as to facilitate fair trade, promote local industries and protect consumers.
Job Summary: The Transport Officer will be responsible for overseeing UNBS fleet, dispatching of Drivers, monitoring vehicle movement, ensuring timely and proper maintenance and repairs, tracking fuel usage and consumption rates.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, organise and coordinate vehicle movements through proper supervision of all Drivers
- Develop and implement guidelines and procedures for fleet management at the Bureau
- Maintain proper inventory of all components of vehicles, and ensure they are maintained and checked frequently.
- Keenly track repairs and costs as part of monitoring and overseeing the repair processes.
- Prepare requisitions for servicing, repair and maintenance at the appropriate garages.
- The incumbent will assess and analyze the quotations submitted by Garages inclusive service, repairs, battery, seat cover and tyre replacement among others to determine value for money.
- The Transport Officer will propose improvements in the existing transport processes, systems and tools.
- Track vehicle and fuel usage and consumption rates; ensure that potential problems or fuel misuse is raised to management.
- Track vehicle registration and insurance and liaise with procurement to ensure these are always renewed in a timely manner.
- Check and analyse UNBS vehicle logs information weekly, make corrections where necessary and sign off in each log to verify that this has been done.
- Periodically collect vehicle logs from the field and review them for accuracy and follow up on field transport operations.
- Collect daily and weekly vehicle checklists, verify their accuracy, and work with drivers to correct any problems.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the UNBS Transport Officer job opportunity should hold a bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Automobile engineering from a recognized University/Institution. Higher Diploma in Mechanical Engineering or Automobile engineering from a recognized University/Institution
- A minimum of three years’ experience in motor vehicle transport operations and management in a reputable Institution
- Demonstrated ability to assess potential mechanical problems and advise on preventive maintenance and repair procedures
- Possess a valid driving license with at least 2 classes.
- Ability to provide leadership to transport and mechanical staff
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent independent judgment and decision-making skills
- Age: Between 25 and 35 years.
How to Apply:
All qualified applicants should send their applications together with attached copies of all academic qualifications, copies of valid identity cards and detailed CVs with mobile telephone numbers indicated, names and contact details of three referees, to the address below;
The Executive Director,
Uganda National Bureau of Standards,
Bweyogerere Industrial Park,
Plot 2-12 Kyaliwajala Road,
P.O. Box 6329, Kampala, Uganda
Deadline: 28th October 2016 by 5:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline