Job Title: Senior Legal Officer
Organization: War Child Canada
Reports to: Head of Programs
Duty Station: Uganda
War Child Canada is an internationally recognized charity that works with war-affected communities to help children reclaim their childhood through access to education, opportunity and justice. In Uganda, through its Access to Justice and Protection programmes, War Child Canada provides Legal Aid services for Women and Child Survivors of violence and raises public awareness around the impact of conflict on communities and the shared responsibility to act. This programme has now expanded to the South Sudanese refugee settlements in the West Nile region and Kiryandongo where War Child Canada seeks to increase the legal protections of children, youth, women and men and continue to address the prevalence of perpetrators’ impunity through legal intervention, awareness raising and capacity building. Our programming emphasizes strong Sexual and Gender-Based Violence (SGBV) prevention, identification and response interventions.
War Child Canada has received funding from United States Department of State Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration (BPRM) to increase protection for refugees and other vulnerable persons in Ugandan refugee settlements in the districts of Adjumani, Arua, Kiryandongo, Koboko and Kamwenge.
Job Summary: The Senior Legal Officer will primarily be responsible for the overall leadership and management of the War Child Canada’s, Uganda, Legal Aid Clinic Services, the incumbent coordinates all the clients’ management, legal awareness raising, legal trainings and representing SGBV survivors and children in the courts of law.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicants for the War Child Canada Senior Legal Officer career placement must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Law.
· Diploma in Legal Practice/enrolled Advocate with a valid practicing certificate
· A minimum of three to five years of relevant legal experience working in the area of Legal Aid Provision.
· Broad knowledge of legal frameworks, human rights frameworks, and refugee law
· Ability to manage and supervise field teams composed of different profile of staff members
· Excellent communication skills both in written and spoken English, including report writing.
· Excellent team work and networking skills with demonstrated ability to coordinate with other regional and local partners and stakeholders.
· Ability to work with multi-cultural groups and in a multi-ethnic environment and gender sensitive.
· Willingness to work in remote areas.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send a detailed CV, cover letter indicating clearly daytime telephone contact and active email address, photocopies of relevant certificates (both professional and vocational) and contact information of at least three professional referees. Please clearly indicate position and location for which you are applying.
Interested applicants should deliver ONLY hard copies of their Application Packages to any of the following War Child Canada Offices:
Kampala: 2nd Floor, Plot 944 Ggaba Road, Kansanga. (Please ensure applications are delivered to War Child Canada NOT War Child Holland.
Arua: Rhino Camp Refugee Settlement Yoro Base Camp.
Kiryandongo: Kanyadoli Refugee Settlement RFM Base Camp, Bweyale.
Koboko: Lobule Refugee Settlement, Office of the Prime Minister Building
Deadline: 28th October, 2016 by 5PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline