Job Title: Human Resources Officer
Project Name: USAID Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years in East and Southern Africa, Jhpiego has empowered front-line health workers by designing and implementing effective, low-cost, hands-on solutions that strengthen the delivery of health care services, following the household-to-hospital continuum of care. Jhpiego partners with organizations to build sustainable, local capacity through advocacy, policy development, human resources for health and quality and performance improvement approaches.
About USAID MAPD Program:
The Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) is a five-year project funded by U.S Agency for International Development (USAID)/PMI. The project aims to prevent and control Malaria illnesses and deaths in order to minimize the social economic effects of the disease among the overall population of Uganda especially in children under-5 years of age.
Job Summary: The Human Resources Officer will provide HR support to Jhpiego country office for effective delivery of HR services and functions. These include providing HR support in recruitment, performance management, and HR administration, employee relations, ensuring compliance with Uganda labor laws and implementing initiatives in accordance with Jhpiego HR policy.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The jobholder will provide advice to staff and supervisors on various HR policies, good practices for effective and motivated staff
· Offer support in the review and update HR policies as per local laws and best practices in the international NGO community.
· Support the HR manager in the recruitment process including review of job descriptions, advertisements, screening of applications, interview and selection process, reference checks and contracting.
· Recommend to the HR manager of the offer to be made to the selected candidates
· Manage the review and renewal of the Jhpiego medical scheme ;Provide day-to-day administration of staff benefits and answer queries from staff regarding benefits
· Coordinate on-boarding (orientation) of new staff with other departments to support the learning process of new employees and follow-up with new staff to ensure adaptation and identify problem areas
· Maintain up to date employee records in both electronic(JEMS and J-drive) and hard copy files and ensure the files are complete and all required documentation is maintained in a confidential and secure manner
· Compile payroll details every month and the changes thereof and liaise with the Finance office
· Provide backstopping support to staff on JEMS HR system including; updating staff records, timely approval of staff leave and timely submission of monthly timesheets
· Ensure effective administration of the performance management processes including appraisals after probation period, performance improvement plan (PIP) mid-year and end of year appraisals
· Coordinate training and development initiatives for staff.
· Process email requisitions for staff and partner staff
· Coordinate staff separation
· Offer support in the administration of HR Policies, addressing staff grievances and in handling disciplinary issues
· Provide leadership to the health safety and committee and ensure compliance to health and safety requirements
· Support to the Health and Safety committee in implementation of annual program and in response to emergency
· Coordinate the staff welfare initiatives and all staff events e.g. welfare association, staff recognition award, staff team building and meetings, wellness activities and other HR initiatives
· Responsible for drafting, processing and records of all consultants and staff contracts
· Drive staff towards a common and shared vision and mission
· Assume other responsibilities as assigned
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Jhpiego Human Resources Officer should hold a Post Graduate /Master’s degree in HR, Admin or related field
· Post graduate diploma in HRM. Membership to a HR professional body will be an added advantage.
· A minimum of five years progressive practical work experience in Human Resource within the International Nongovernmental organization settings.
· Knowledge of the Uganda Labor laws and the related labor dispute resolution mechanism
· Demonstrated use of initiative and ability to make appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipate next steps.
· Ability to identify clients’ needs and appropriate solutions including ability to establish and maintain productive partnership with clients.
· Effective organizational skills and ability to handle a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner
· Knowledge of donor funded projects.
· Ability to demonstrate diplomacy, sensitivity, and respect for confidentiality.
· Computer skills i.e. proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
· Proven knowledge and experience in Human Resources Management Information Systems.
· Fluent English both spoken and written.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandans are encouraged to apply online by uploading an updated resume, cover letter and three professional references at the web link below.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline