Job Title: Director Research & Policy Development
Organization: Uganda Bankers Association (UBA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Executive Director
The Uganda Bankers Association was founded in 1981 as an umbrella body of commercial banks in Uganda. 25 commercial banks and one development bank comprise the UBA membership. Commercial banks are licensed and regulated by Bank of Uganda under the Financial Institutions Act 2004. UBA’s role among other things includes the promotion, protection, representation and development of the professional and business interests of members. This also includes fostering orderly conditions within the Banking industry subject to the laws prevailing at any time in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Director Research & Policy Development will mainly be responsible for leading UBA’s Research & Policy Development Directorate to support initiatives & interventions proposed for the banking & financial sector.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The incumbent will develop and lead high quality policy development initiatives and research on the banking sector, including trends, key issues & drivers impacting on or influencing the industry and national processes and discussions therein.
· Formulate research partnerships in banking & finance, in collaboration with other agencies (local, regional, international including academia) and research networks to enable UBA generate new and original policy insights. Provide the directorate of Communications & Corporate Affairs with raw material for appropriate and effective national influencing and stakeholder management.
· The incumbent will develop and deliver advocacy strategies to influence relevant stakeholders and achieve policy changes at industry and national level.
· Regularly monitor trends in the external environment, and identify opportunities to promote UBA’s objectives.
· Organize, arrange for or represent UBA at high level research & advocacy meetings, the proposed UBA Annual Banking Conference, through cross-organizational working groups and civil society networks.
· Produce and disseminate research findings, publications, bulletins, position papers etc as appropriate.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate shall be an economist, finance expert and or banker with sufficient industry exposure and demonstrable experience in applied research, gathering and evaluating relevant information presentation at conferences, and other fora with ability to exercise the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards and promote/share best practices.
· An academic qualification at post-graduate level or equivalent experience on issues directly related to Economics, Finance & Banking.
· A minimum of five to eight years’ experience in publishing of policy analysis, advocacy and research in Economics, Banking & Finance with a proven interest and focus on applied research.
· Knowledge and experience of research, analysis and policy related to banking & finance, including public fiscal & monetary policy issues.
· Proven ability to link research and policy debates, and communicate effectively with a variety of non-specialist audiences.
· Strong writing and presentation skills, with a proven ability to produce high quality reports and briefings against a timeline.
· A proven ability to establish and maintain a network of policy and research relationships in Finance & Banking, and to harness these relationships to achieve policy change.
· Experience of effective team work and outstanding inter-personal communication skills Ability to operate within an administratively self-servicing environment.
· Good contacts in the relevant fields, including the work of academic/research contacts with Regulators, DFIs, NGOs, & other international agencies.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications to:
Uganda Bankers’ Association,
Plot 10 Buganda Road,
P.O. Box 8002, Kampala
Deadline: 14th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline