Job Title: Director Legal and Corporate Affairs
Organization: Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Executive Director
The Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU) has been put in place as recommended in the National, Oil and Gas policy of Uganda and in accordance with Section 9 of the Petroleum (Exploration, Development and Production) Act 2013. The mandate of the PAU is to regulate the oil and gas sector in Uganda including ensuring that petroleum operations in Uganda are carried out in accordance with the relevant laws, regulations, guidelines, statutes and in line with international petroleum industry best practice.
Job Summary: The Director Legal and Corporate Affairs (DLCA) will be responsible for the Legal and Corporate Affairs Directorate and will report to the Executive Director (ED) of the Authority. He/She will be responsible for planning and managing the legal and corporate affairs of the Authority and responsible for representation of the Authority in 'courts, of law. The jobholder will be responsible for ensuring that all decisions made by the Authority are legally grounded as well as providing preventive and proactive legal counsel to the Authority. He/She will be responsible for providing the necessary support in the coordination of policy and Board affairs and for the Authority’s Corporate affairs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· In charge of initiating and budgeting for the activities of the Legal and Corporate Affairs Directorate.
· Manage all legal and regulatory requirements of the Authority and provide legal and contractual advice to all sections of the Authority including legal interpretation of policies and regulatory provisions.
· Guide the ED on corporate governance issues and compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements.
· Ensure the provision of legal defense for the Authority on all prosecutions and/or legal suits related to the Authority, its operations and business in courts of law and arbitrations.
· Actively participate and advise on contracts and other legal documents of the Authority and those submitted by the licensees.
· Ensure the initiation, management and delivery of a corporate communications strategy to develop the Authority’s reputation, brand and relationships, ensuring clear identity and high levels of goodwill and understanding amongst the various stakeholder groups and wider audiences.
· Support the communications function of the office of the Executive Director.
· Assist the ED in coordinating policy matters.
· Support the ED in ensuring the Authority’s adequate participation in the formulation of relevant laws and regulations.
· Perform any other duties assigned by the ED.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Petroleum Authority Director Legal and Corporate Affairs job opportunity must hold a Master’s degree in Petroleum Law or Management from an internationally recognised University.
· Possession of a Bachelor’s degree (Hons) in Law from an internationally recognized institution.
· A Postgraduate diploma in legal practice from the Law Development Centre (LDC),
· The applicant should be enrolled as an advocate with a valid practising certificate and can appear before the High Court.
· At least ten years’ relevant working experience, seven of which should have been in a reputable, busy and highly organized institution.
· Previous experience in working at a leadership role in an organization/business unit/project with diverse professionals.
· Broad knowledge of legal and regulatory provisions of the Ugandan law and international law pertaining to the oil and gas industry.
· Previous experience in contractual dispute resolution or representation in arbitration proceedings.
· Training and experience in communication and corporate affairs management.
· Possess an Internationally Recognised qualification in Management or Business Administration.
· Any additional internationally recognized relevant professional qualification or membership of an internationally recognised professional body in the areas of law or Corporate affairs.
· Innovative and with a proven high level of integrity.
· Ability to work independently and in a team.
· Proven track record of outstanding performance.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
· Possess good administrative and negotiation skills.
· Track record of training and mentoring others.
· Excellent analytical skills.
· Proficiency in relevant computer packages.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send their download this form, Click Here and fill it in indicating the telephone and email contacts for both the applicant and three reputable referees. The signed applications together with copies of certified academic and professional qualifications should be addressed and submitted in triplicate to the following address;
The Executive Director,
Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU) Liaison Office Room B 416,
4th floor Amber House,
Plot 29/33, Kampala Road,
P.O. Box 7270, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 31st October, 2016 by 5:00PM
NB: Applications delivered through registered mail and courier will be accepted as long as they are received before the above-mentioned deadline for submission. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline