Job Title: Grants Coordinator (3 Job Placements)
Organisation: CARE International
Reports to: Grants & Contracts Manager
Duty Station: Kampala (2 Jobs), Gulu, Uganda
CARE International is a leading global development and humanitarian organization. In 2014, CARE worked in 90 countries around the world, supporting 880 poverty-fighting development and humanitarian aid projects, reaching more than 72 million people. CARE International in Uganda (CARE) works with others to make a sustainable improvement in the lives of the very poor, with a focus on women and girls. Our current program focusses on women and girls’ economic rights, particularly financial inclusion and governance of natural resources women and girls depend upon, and on their sexual and reproductive health rights, including a life free of violence. Our programming is guided by our core values of excellence, accountability, respect, integrity and transparency.
Job Summary: The Grants Coordinator will primarily ensure the programme’s appropriate grant management, both the donor contract management and compliance (ensuring donor rules are applied and respected, donor reports are prepared and submitted timely and with the needed accuracy, other donor requirements are met, etc) and the sub grants management and oversight, as per CARE relevant policies. The staff will work with respective CARE units both in CARE Uganda, Regional Management Unit (RMU) as well as CARE USA headquarters and other CARE International Member Partners (CMPs). The incumbent will support assigned initiatives to run an efficient budget management and guide the programme staff and finance on donor requirements/guidelines and rules of managing donor Grants.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ensures transparent partner selection as per sub grantee policy
· Ensures organizational capacity and due diligence assessments are conducted to inform final decisions on partner selection for approval by Decision Making committee (DMC),
· Prepares sub-grant agreements and all related required documentation for approval of sub grants by DMC;
· Supports program team to develop organizational capacity development plans of partners, based on results from assessments and monitors progress / implementation against these plans;
· Ensures inception and training meetings on sub grants rules & regulations and possible specific donor rules and regulations. are held within 3 months of the sub grant agreement signature
· Prepares and submits quarterly reports on sub grants progress and challenges for DMCs input and action;
· Ensures sub grants have PIDs & and are uploaded in PeopleSoft with right level of AIDs in a timely manner & ensures program staff are informed of these codes;
· Guides program and DMC on need for modifications to agreements (e.g. extensions, earlier terminations, change of approved amounts, revisions of budgets, etc) and supports program to prepare necessary documentation for approval of modification by DMC.
· Carry out ongoing and close monitoring of sub grantee performance, analyzing results versus Scope Of Work jointly with program, conducting regular visits to the partners and their activities / beneficiaries, analyzing expenditure versus budget and expenditure versus realized activities, etc
· Prepares modifications to partner agreements and submits to DMC for approval;
Sub grantee compliance and Risk Management:
· Support partners in budgeting, maintaining accounting and financial controls. The Grants coordinator has both a controlling and a trainer/capacity building role vis-à-vis partners;
· Develop a CB plan of partner but with a focus on the program support functions (administration, procurement and finance systems and policies integrity) and internal controls to ensure funds entrusted to the partner are well managed and well accounted for;
· Work with an audit approach and regularly test the integrity of the partners’ internal controls by personally conducted spot checks and audits of submitted and reported expenses and by recommending and / or organizing audits by other colleagues from CARE (e.g. RMU, global roving auditors) and / or external audit firms when required.
· At least quarterly, the job holder will physically visit each partner and conduct & document spot checks of reported expenses and verify integrity of processes, conducted activities and documentation. Any concern, suspicion of fraud or fraud will immediately be reported as per CARE’s anti-fraud and anti-corruption policy;
Support Project and Program managers with grants financial management including audit requirements
· Ensure inception and close out meetings are held and documented as per CARE policy with participation of all relevant departments (program team, administration, finance, HR) so that a common understanding of each new initiative is built quickly across all relevant departments of CARE; During these meetings, the Grants Coordinator will present the specific donor rules and regulations that all staff and partners will need to abide with, with a focus on financial management and budget flexibility, procurement rules, any special per diem rates, any special requirements (e.g. stamping invoices, etc);
· Run monthly expenditure reports for grants (ensuring partners’ financial reports are captured) and submit to PM for joint review and analysis;
· Prepare and submit donor financial reports in timely manner and with required accuracy in required format;
· Prepare cash projections for grants and submits both to CARE Uganda and donor as appropriate;
· Recommend budget revisions for both grants and sub grants as needed based on financial and expenditure reports analysis and on donor rules and regulations related to budget flexibility;
· Reviews and contributes to grants narrative reports to ensure consistency with financial information and partner reports and information;
· Support program team to develop budgets when working on new proposals;
· If donor requires that external audits are conducted, lead the entire audit process to ensure timely and quality realization of audits, including the procurement of the audit firm, the agreement on the TOR, overseeing the implementation of the audit, reviewing and commenting on reports till satisfactory finalization of the audit, etc (all in compliance with CARE standards);
· Maintain a program level risk matrix up to date every time a new development happens in the program (e.g. a new donor contract is signed, a new sub grant agreement is signed, an initiative closes, an audit has flagged new issues or risks, etc) and support the program team to manage risks accordingly;
Other responsibilities: As requested by supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicants must hold possess bachelor’s degrees in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or BCOM and/ or Professional Accounting qualification like CPA, CIMA, and ACCA Level
· At least three years’ experience from financial management of development projects or at a middle or senior management level in accounting, auditing and grant management.
· Previous experience with working in a partnership approach and supporting civil society.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
· Computer skills (email, word processing, spreadsheets, financial management systems).
· Highly motivated to maintain a regular dialogue with CARE’s partner organizations.
· Skills in team work, facilitation and training.
· Working knowledge of INGO operations and sub-grantee management is an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their online applications at this link, Click Here. Click on the “Job Application” icon, fill the application form and attach a motivation letter clearly articulating Alignment with the above profile and an updated detailed CV (candidates should scan the CV and motivation letter as one document before Attaching to avoid double posting). Please do not create an account first, just go straight to the application form and fill it, attach PDF formats and submit.
Deadline: 18th October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline