Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10026395
Vacancy Notice: 020/2016
Reports to: Protection Officer
Duty Station: Arua, Uganda
Post Grade: GL7
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior Protection Associate (Community Based)will work closely with other UNHCR staff, government, NGO partners and other stakeholders to identify the risks they face and to leverage their capacities to protect themselves, their families and communities. The incumbent may have direct supervisory responsibility for part of the protection and/or support staff and supports the application of community-based protection standards, operational procedures and practices in community-based protection delivery at the field level. To fulfil this role the Senior Protection Associate (Community-Based) is required to spend a substantial percentage of her/his time working outside the office, building and maintaining networks within communities of persons of concern. The development and maintenance of constructive relationships with persons of concern that measurably impact and enhance protection planning, programming and results forms the core of the work of the Senior Protection Associate (Community-Based). The incumbent also supports the designing of a community-based protection strategy by ensuring that it is based on consultation with persons of concern
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will support functional units the Multi-Functional Team (MFT) and senior management to integrate participatory and community-based approaches in the overall protection strategy.
- Through relationships with persons of concern and network of partners stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment and provide advice to the protection team.
- The incumbent will understand the perspectives, capacities, needs and resources of the persons of concern and advise the protection team accordingly, highlighting the specific protection needs of women and men, children, youth and older persons, persons with disabilities, marginalized groups.
- Work closely with host communities to identify opportunities for national civil society involvement in improving the protection of persons of concern.
- Work in liaison with implementing and operational partners as well as with displaced and local communities to develop community-owned activities to address, where applicable, the social, educational, psycho-social, cultural, health, organisational and livelihood concerns as well as child protection and prevention and response to SGBV.
- Offer support in the analysis that identifies the capacities of communities of concern and risks they face.
- Assist with regular participatory assessments and ongoing consultation with persons of concern using multifunctional teams.
- In charge of planning and monitoring of programmes and budgets with an AGD perspective.
- Assist in building capacity to maximize opportunities for participatory and community-based approaches and to make appropriate use of guidelines and tools in working with partners and other relevant entities.
- Support communities in establishing representation and coordination structures
- Ensure community understanding of UNHCR's commitment to deliver on accountability and quality assurance in its response.
- Offer support in developing UNHCR communication strategies by emphasizing the participatory, community-based and AGD approaches
- Act as interpreter in exchange of routine information, contribute to related liaison activities and respond directly to routine queries.
- Perform other relevant duties as required.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Effective support and advice is provided to promote and undertake community-based protection activities which address the social, cultural, and livelihood needs of populations of concern.
- AGD sensitive analysis of community risks and capacities provides the essential basis for all of UNHCRs work.
- The participation of persons of concern is assured through continuous assessment and evaluation using participatory, rights and community based approaches, which inform protection and assistance programming and ensure that UNHCR meets its commitments to accountability to persons of concern.
- National protection capacities are improved through direct engagement, research and advocacy with all relevant external interlocutors
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Senior Protection Associate (Community Based) job vacancy should have completed secondary education with Certificate/ training in International Development, Cultural Studies, Human Rights, International Social Work, Social Science, Political Science, Anthropology, International Law or other clearly related disciplines is required
- At least 11 years relevant job experience.
- Computer skills (MS Office, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access).
- Fluency in English, Madi, Lugbara, Aringa and Swahili
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 24th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline