Job Title: Senior Officer, Accelerated Learning Program
Organisation: Save the Children International
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children and has program presence in over 120 countries in the world and has been implementing programs for over 90 years. Save the Children envisions a Uganda in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We strive to create impact for children by delivering our Programmes through partnerships, by being innovative, by acting as the voice for and of children, and by achieving results at scale. In Uganda, we implement programmes in six thematic programme areas of Child Protection, Child Rights Governance, Education, Livelihoods & Food Security, Health, Nutrition and HIV/AIDS in development and emergency contexts. Save the Children delivers programs in over 36 districts in the North, Rwenzori, North-Eastern and Central regions of Uganda, Currently, Save the Children has a staff complement of over 240 persons. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. In 2014, we reached over 143 million children through our work around 52m directly and 91 million indirectly around the world.
Job Summary: The Senior Officer, Accelerated Learning Program ALP will ensure youth with low literacy, numeracy and life skills enroll for and complete Accelerated Learning Programme (ALP) offered in 6 underserved sub-counties in Amuru, Nwoya and Gulu districts. S/he will be responsible for training ALP facilitators, establish ALP learning centres and establish linkages with District Education offices for technical support, monitoring and supervision of the ALP interventions in the project area. The incumbent will also actively promote access to youth centred Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) to deprived youth, train and strengthen the capacity of Peer Educators to successfully deliver youth centred sexuality Education in youth groups and within local communities. The jobholder will strengthen cooperation between young people and SRH health service providers to jointly improve the delivery of services to deprived youth. S/he will also empower deprived youth to serve as productive, democratic citizens and positive advocates for change and promote their engagement in community, district planning and decision making processes. The Senior Officer, Accelerated Learning Program will also be responsible for working with the partner and providing technical support to the partner staff. He/ she will also be responsible for monitoring project interventions and following up implementation of the accountability framework. The Officer may be called upon as and when necessary to support the emergency team in cases of humanitarian crisis.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Save the Children Senior Officer, Accelerated Learning Program job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Education preferably in Teacher education. Additional qualifications in Teacher Education is an added advantage.
- A minimum of three years of progressive working experience in planning and implementing Education programmes with INGOs with at least two years of teaching experience in primary schools or as a Tutor in Primary Teachers’ College.
- Willing to be based in the field and to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Previous experience of working with the Local Government, and local partners with focus on improving the learning environments is an added advantage.
- Ability to speak the local language (Gulu) and directly interact with target group will be an added advantage.
- Past exposure and experience of working with local partners and District Local Government in Child Rights Governance, Health, Nutrition, Education, HIV/AIDS or Child Protection is an added advantage.
- Excellent analytical skills and strategic planning abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to send a copy of their updated CVs with a cover letter (attached as one document) indicating three referees, two of whom should have been direct supervisors to: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Testimonials/certificates should not be attached to applications
· Hand delivered applications will not be accepted and are therefore not considered during the shortlisting process.
Deadline: 7th October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline